DE blades for a beginner?

In the 60s my sister used to send me Wilkinsons by post, when I was serving in remote parts.
About 3+ years ago I returned to DE shaving, and picked up Wilkinsons from the Chemist, what a mistake- initially thought it was me shaving poorly,but twigged on that they were not too clever.
Lucky too,was not tempted to use the Merkir blade that came with my Futur.

I like Lab Blue and Polsiver SI,also Rapira Swede when I stray back to DE.

To start with do not shave every day.
Wash face in hot water before shaving.
Use only the weight of the shaver.
Do not keep going over the same area (only one pass).
After four shaves use a new blade.
Use a light moisturiser after the shave or
Use alcohol free after shave.
These suggestions work for me.
Of course I don't agree with some of your statements ;)
Wash face...yes
Weight of the shaver...depends
Keep going over the same area...depends but usually necessary, one pass is not enough.
After four shaves use a new blade...depends, I replace my blade after the 3rd shave, 2nd is usually the best. Blades are cheap, my grandfather used to use one blade for several months but he was a tough WW2 mother shaver.
Use a light moisturiser after the shave or use alcohol free after shave...I use light moisturiser on top of alcohol based AS, tried everything and this works for me best.

Diggy87,

a great razor purchase. The great thing about the EJ DE89 is that it holds the blade firmly along it's length so will help to minimise any flex in the blade.

Some great advice offered above. For the time being I would avoid the Feather Hi-Stainless until you've got your technique mostly right. They can bite you if your technique needs work or if you stop concentrating.

I'd start with the Derby blade and then - focus on preparation, creating a good protective lather and then using very light pressure to remove the beard just one pass at a time. Do a second pass if needed.

If you're interested, I'm doing a razor blade "experiment" in another post. Might be useful but remember my face, beard, water, soap etc, are different to yours ;)

http://theshavingroom.co.uk/community/index.php?posts/616744/

Enjoy!

When I started on DE I was given some Derbys (free with my DE89L) and some Feathers. I decided to start with the Feathers (can't remember if I had done some reading and figured I wanted a good start). Along with MWF, so a tough first lather.

I survived despite a very sharp blade in combination with my poor lathering skills (I was very wary, which probably helped). The finish was a bit raw in places but nowhere near bad enough to stop me coming back for more.

So take your pick, take your time, try a few test lathers if you can and you should be all good.

Welcome to the club, just beware its addictive qualities. :D

There really isn't such a thing as a blade for a beginner. As you've gathered, all the blades are different, or as we say in the hobby: YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary), in other words, what works for me might not work for you. You might want to ditch the Feather and Derby blades and try Astra SP, Voskhod, Polsilver SI, or Perma-Sharp, among many others. Get a couple of sample packs from www.connaughtshaving.co.uk and see what works for you. Good razor choice. Creams are easier to lather than soaps for beginners, and most of the creams you'll see on these forums are good products.

I believe that derby and most likely feather blades are not really meant to be used, after reading through decades of discussion related to feather and derby extra razor blades on forums.

People who say they have used DE razors since the kennedy or Eisenhower inagurations, state fervently that either these blades are utter trash not fit to be used by prostitutes to cut lines of coke with..

while others with the same time shaving praise these blades to the heavens..

Back
Top Bottom