Closed Pass Around: Asylum RX - Finished.

Tried again today, this time with a Kia captain titan mild, managed a cut free shave, but the mild was a bit too mild,
I think I need to try a blade in between, any suggestions?

I plan on using it a couple more times, so it will be sent off the middle of next week, to @dogsmro, if you would be so kind as to send me your address.
PM incoming

I had my final go with the Asylum RX, using a pro guard feather,

I think the pro guard suits me well, I have had a couple of decent shaves close but comfortable,

And the conclusion for me is,

Pluses,

I like the look of the razor, it's well made and is a substantial razor, the blade is held very snugly, it feels very expensive, though I have no idea how much they are, if this was the first razor I had tried, I would be happy for it to be my only razor,

Minuses,

The head is too wide, dictated by the blades, but add to that the weight of it, you need to grip the razor well, when using the extreme ends of the razor, loading the blades is a bit of a faff, it does get easier with experience, but compared to injector razors it's slow and awkward, though the blades possibly last longer to compensate for that, it's heavy in the hand and this I feel was part of the bad experience on first use, I like razors with some heft, but the Asylum is more than I like,

Would I buy one,

Though it's been a great pass around, I just can't see that it's an improvement over my own Schick injector, which works equally as well, but without any of the minuses of the Asylum, it showed me how much I like my own Schick, so much so that I ordered the £44 for 8 cartridges of blades from Amazon USA for my Schick, so I can use it more regularly,

So I guess the answer is no, I liked it, but I liked the mass produced classic Schick better,

I will get it in the post over the next few days, can't say exactly when.

The razor is now with @p.b
  1. sɐǝɹpu∀ / riverrun (ATG/TSR)
  2. Nishy (ATG)
  3. rowlers (ATG)
  4. globalm (TSR)
  5. Looney12345 (ATG/TSR)
  6. Acer89 (ATG)
  7. MikeyJ (TSR)
  8. Fuzzyian (TSR)
  9. Dogsmro (ATG/TSR)
  10. p.b (ATG)
  11. Blademonkey (TSR)
  12. MPH (TSR)
  13. Burgundy (ATG)
  14. AlexNoodles (ATG)
  15. barber bear (TSR)
  16. ben139 (ATG)
  17. newbie (TSR)
  18. Betriebsarzt13 (TSR)
  19. Mr Bigmem (ATG/TSR)
The list is closed.
Legend: Currently with, On the way to, Waiting, Completed

RX arrived today, recieved from @p.b in good order, thank you . As Sod's law would have it I had already shaved today so I will use tomorrow for my first shave. Thanks @Paul for supplying this razor and also @riverrun for his admin work. :) watch this space.
Thanks. Enjoy.
  2. Nishy (ATG)
  3. rowlers (ATG)
  4. globalm (TSR)
  5. Looney12345 (ATG/TSR)
  6. Acer89 (ATG)
  7. MikeyJ (TSR)
  8. Fuzzyian (TSR)
  9. Dogsmro (ATG/TSR)
  10. p.b (ATG)
  11. Blademonkey (TSR)
  12. MPH (TSR)
  13. Burgundy (ATG)
  14. AlexNoodles (ATG)
  15. barber bear (TSR)
  16. ben139 (ATG)
  17. newbie (TSR)
  18. Betriebsarzt13 (TSR)
  19. Mr Bigmem (ATG/TSR)
The list is closed.
Legend: Currently with, On the way to, Waiting, Completed

image.jpg The Asylum RX.
A very modern looking razor, now some will love it's looks and others will not I'm sure, I however have not made my mind up yet.
It is very well made and I love how the two peices of the head fit together holding the blade securely.
I think the fluting on the handle would have looked better if one of them lined up with the Middle of the head but that's just my OCD and I may be being a little picky but I can't help but see it and tut every time I look at it!
I love the fact it can be stood up on the base of the handle much like the king cobra, a nice touch.
The finnish is a little disappointing on a razor in this price range, just a little more time on the finishing this would have made a world of difference to me but again maybe it's just me being picky!
Hand feel... I did put my windrose 16mm handle on it to see what it looked like, it didn't do anything to improve its looks but in my hands it did feel better however the stock handle is ok and is in keeping with the head.
Ok, first use.
I am familiar with the feather proguard blades so I thought that would be the best one to start with and I'm pleased I did because it performed faultlesly, the wide head made for a quicker shave and the angle of attack was so easy to find straight away.
I was impressed with how easy the shave was and was rewarded with a BBS irritation free finnish.
For its shaving ability I will give this razor with this blade a 9/10, I will try the pro blade in a few days and see how I get on with that.
A big thank you to @Paul for giving us this razor to try and also to @riverrun for his administration of the pass around.
I will have a few more shaves and report back in due course. :)

Last edited:
image.jpg Shave 5 with the RX

As you can see I now have the fluting as close to the centre of the head as is possible ,bang on infact so it can be done....I found out when changing the blade out to a Feather pro and to my joy when screwed back up it all lined up! So my OCD is happy,at least with that.
The last four shaves have been very good indeed using the proguard but today .....wow, the Feather Pro was so much better, infact I did away with one of the passes because I was done!
Loving the way this razor shaves and even starting to like the looks now the fluting is lining up!
I will have a Couple more shaves with the Pro blade instaled and then post my end report and pass this razor on to the next recipiant .

Last edited:
My last report on the Asylum shave works RX.....
For me this razor gives a fabulous shave and over the seven shaves I've had using this razor I've had no irritation or mishaps at all.
I started off using the Feather proguard blade and it was good however I changed to the Feather pro which gave better results altogether.
I would give a solid 10/10 for the shave it gave using the pro blades.

For me the razor felt good in the hand and was very easy to use. The blade was secure and easy to fit.
At first I was unsure if I liked the modern look but as time went by I had decided I did like its looks.

The overall finnish on the razor was not bad but not perfect and at around £250 landed in the UK I would expect a perfect finnish.
My Supply single edge cost far less and has a flawless finnish so it's a shame because I feel it lets the RX down somewhat.

Price, even if it was to have a flawless finnish I still feel this is a little over priced so because of the finnish and the price I will not be rushing out to buy one.

I have enjoyed using this razor and wish to thank @Paul for making this pass-around possible and also thanks to @riverrun for his administration.

I will post the razor on to @MPH tomorrow once cleaned and packaged.

Last edited:
The eagle has landed!!!

Many thanks @Blademonkey for the great packing, note and adding some MORE soap.

I couldn't believe how many samples are included. Shame that tonight has been a tad manic, and I haven't even had time to shave!!! :-(

Will update in due course. :)
Thanks for checking in and enjoy your shaves.
  2. Nishy (ATG)
  3. rowlers (ATG)
  4. globalm (TSR)
  5. Looney12345 (ATG/TSR)
  6. Acer89 (ATG)
  7. MikeyJ (TSR)
  8. Fuzzyian (TSR)
  9. Dogsmro (ATG/TSR)
  10. p.b (ATG)
  11. Blademonkey (TSR)
  12. MPH (TSR)
  13. Burgundy (ATG)
  14. AlexNoodles (ATG)
  15. barber bear (TSR)
  16. ben139 (ATG)
  17. newbie (TSR)
  18. Betriebsarzt13 (TSR)
  19. Mr Bigmem (ATG/TSR)
The list is closed.

Legend: Completed, Currently with, Waiting

Hi everyone,

Sorry for my slow response, but I've been so busy I've hardly had time to shave let alone report on it! :)

Firstly I have to say that on opening the parcel I recieved from @Blademonkey I once again had that feeling of being really grateful that such great communities such as TSR\ATG exist. It is absolutely wonderful that not only will people allow REALLY expensive items to be sent out to strangers, but also that the members put freebies in for others to try. Time to give yourselves a pat on the back guys, you all make this place a wonderful place to be! :) :) :)

Anyway..... Onto the razor. It is lovely to behold, and I instantly noticed the matching markings on it. To be honest I quite like the markings on the handle and you could almost say they were there for added grip... However, Im not overly impressed with this effect on the head as it gives the impression of not being fully polished, and I want a smooth head so that it glides properly over the face. Overall I like it, but for a top end razor, I feel it could have been finished a little better.

I have now used it twice. The first time I employed a partially used blade taken from my mongoose, as I knew it had lots of life left, and I don't like the initial couple of shaves on feather blades in my goose. To be honest I was a little surprised how rough the blade felt. The razor feels very sturdy and quite nimble in comparison to the goose, but I guess I must have my angles wrong as it just made the blade feel blunt. Saying that the results were not bad at all.

For the second shave I added a new Feather Pro and again the blade didn't feel good against my skin. I was in a bit of a rush, but I felt quite raw afterwards, with some weepers. I am guessing I have my angles all wrong so I'm hoping I can take a bit longer next time and dial things in a bit better.

Really looking forward to shave 3.... Probably tomorrow.

Many thanks again to all involved.

Hi everyone,

Sorry for my slow response, but I've been so busy I've hardly had time to shave let alone report on it! :)

Firstly I have to say that on opening the parcel I recieved from @Blademonkey I once again had that feeling of being really grateful that such great communities such as TSR\ATG exist. It is absolutely wonderful that not only will people allow REALLY expensive items to be sent out to strangers, but also that the members put freebies in for others to try. Time to give yourselves a pat on the back guys, you all make this place a wonderful place to be! :) :) :)

Anyway..... Onto the razor. It is lovely to behold, and I instantly noticed the matching markings on it. To be honest I quite like the markings on the handle and you could almost say they were there for added grip... However, Im not overly impressed with this effect on the head as it gives the impression of not being fully polished, and I want a smooth head so that it glides properly over the face. Overall I like it, but for a top end razor, I feel it could have been finished a little better.

I have now used it twice. The first time I employed a partially used blade taken from my mongoose, as I knew it had lots of life left, and I don't like the initial couple of shaves on feather blades in my goose. To be honest I was a little surprised how rough the blade felt. The razor feels very sturdy and quite nimble in comparison to the goose, but I guess I must have my angles wrong as it just made the blade feel blunt. Saying that the results were not bad at all.

For the second shave I added a new Feather Pro and again the blade didn't feel good against my skin. I was in a bit of a rush, but I felt quite raw afterwards, with some weepers. I am guessing I have my angles all wrong so I'm hoping I can take a bit longer next time and dial things in a bit better.

Really looking forward to shave 3.... Probably tomorrow.

Many thanks again to all involved.
Great write up, am looking forward to your next instalment :)

Hi

I used the Asylum again last night and although to be fair it was pretty much a BBS shave, bloody hell did my skin feel raw afterwards and I had a few weepers.

I know I do not have great technique, but to be honest I'm beyond trying to tame razors that aren't for me anymore as I can just stick to my mongoose. As such I hope to pass this on to @Burgundy probably posting on saturday. I hope to try a milder blade by then to see if this provides any revelations!

Lovely razor, but its looking very much like it doesn't like me. :-(

Matt

Back
Top Bottom