DE Suggestions Please

A little update on how I got on with things. For my first shave I used the following:

Merkur 34c
Derby Extra Blade
Vulfix Super Badger Brush
Proraso Sensitive Cream
Proraso Aloe & Vitam E Balm

I had two days of growth.

First thing I know I need to improve is my technique for lathering. I suspect more water is needed. While I was able to work up a lather it wasn't as much as I'd have expected and by the time I was half way through my first pass, the other side of my face was “flaking”. So, I'll do better on that next time.

I was pleasantly surprised at the results of the first pass. No nicks and was looking ok though there was still quite a bit of hair left and while I was advised here to leave it at one pass for my first attempt, I'd have looked absurd with the results.

So, re-lathered and for the second pass went across (ear-to-nose direction). The second pass helped with how things looked but I did end up with quite a few nicks on my neck. Nothing horrific but not nice.

Rather than push my luck with a third pass, I left things as they were. In terms of appearance, not bad at all but hardly BBS. I must confess I get a much closer shave with a cartridge but I know this is only because I'm just learning how to shave properly with a DE after all these years.

In summary - need to work on lathering, need to improve my “cross pass” technique or perhaps even do a second pass but with the grain rather than across. I'm encouraged by the experience as it wasn't nearly as bad as when I tried many years ago. More practice on the horizon and hopefully I'll finally “get it”.
Try more with the grain, I believe that its a foolish misconception that a person must go in multiple directions to get a good shave. or a "proper shave". the old Gillette blades, razors, and "Gillette" angle shave were all billed as "one pass and your done and good to go"

Today, I used my 40/41 headed super speed with a dorco 300 store branded blade, and I was good to go with one WTG pass.

Getting the angle of the razor correct is the key thing, along with no pressure. These are the biggest difference between DE shaving and cartridge shaving.

I found that it helps to concentrate on making sure that the cap of the razor is touching the skin. If you can keep both the cap and the blade touching without any pressure then you should be getting the angle right. Also you should be able to hear the blade cutting more than feel it. Just take your time and keep practising, it will become second nature after a time.

I don't know about "hearing the blade cut" is really a useful guideline. I only have a few razors that let the blade make noise when I am shaving.
fat tech, fat boy, old type, war contract tech with triangle slot, and my super adjustable. my 1940/1941 aristocrat is noise with platinum plus blades. an di normally need to apply to much pressure..

Hi, and I admire and congratulate you on your perseverance - well done.

You've got a good razor there, the 34C is a mid range aggression razor. Based on your post I would recommend two things.

ONE: That you switch razor blades. The Derby Extra is a more mild choice compared to the Merkur (I'm assuming Solingen) Superior blades. I find that they are an aggressive blade and should be used with caution. I would recommend Wilkinson Sword Classic or ASTRA Green (Superior Platinum) blades. They are much more mild in aggression.

TWO: That you ditch (for the time being) the sensitive shave. Try something like the Proraso Green or Proraso Red shave cream, The Body Shop Macca Root shave cream, L'Occitane CADE shave cream or ARKO. If you want to spend a little more, something from the Col. Conk range would be good too.

In my experience (and this is just me), sensitive shave soaps should only be used with very mild razors such as the Wilkinson Sword Classic or Gillette Slim Twist. In my humble opinion, (this is for me, and not necessarily suitable for you) the 34C is perhaps a little too aggressive, so a really thick, slick and protective shave soap or cream is required.

I hope that you will post an update and let us know how you're going.

All the best!

MOST sensitive soaps in a can or gel form, typically use menthol to help alleviate irritation, what you cant feel your not supposed to know about it.

However, the majority of the soaps and creams, that I have actually looked at that are NOT in a can or gel tube... actually consider sensitivity to be "allergy to particular ingredients" and typically do the best they can to get rid of typical allergens and skin reactancts in soap. SO if your "sensitive skin" is a reaction to lime, menthol, citrus,, etc. then the sensitive soaps from Jagger should be a friend if you avoid the lime one.

For me the only thing to add is try and relax during the shave. I found I got better when I was less nervous. It also helped me when I realised that DE wet shaving is all about steady, progressive reduction, with each pass. When I started, I expected all of the stubble to shave off as if it was a cartridge ! Then, when I got my head round reduction, I tried to many passes with each shave.

Thinking back on my first year of DE shaving, a lot of time was spent unlearning bad habits from years of cartridge shaving. I do wish that I learned to shave with a DE.

Things also improved for me when I spent more time on prep i.e. warm shower, lots of water on the face before the shave, good brush and lather.

Good luck and I hope you keep at it.

stop worrying about it would be better advice. I still remember my first few shaves, the whole half hour misery of them. I remember being worried about trying to get it just perfectly and in the end, getting bad results. and when with the same razor, and slightly better blades and soap, I stopped worry and just watched were the razor went on my face, and suddenly great results coming.

This as a newbie to de shaving myself is so fascinating! I'm still trying to shave as I did with a cartridge, reading back through this I've made, and still am, making every mistake possible, if I see after a stroke the stubble, back I go several times, mire pressure, attack it from different angles, no lather on there of course since first pass, dry as a camel herders sandal.

Back
Top Bottom