What's the EdT/Perfume/AS etiquette in the UK?

That's a fair point.

However, in London, I also get offended many times a day by the lack of showering and anti-perspirant application that some people persist with!

I travel to London frequently on business and have oft noted in the summer that a hosepipe ban seems to be automagically interpreted as a shower and deodorant ban too, especially on the underground.

Greetings

If I was still working (and I am damned glad I am not) and it was in an office environment or some other scenario where others had to spend a lot of time in close proximity to me whether they wanted to or not; I personally would not wear a few of the fragrances I own and wear. I think a reasonable person would choose something fairly light with only moderate sillage eg a citrussy/summery fragrance, even in winter. We have all had to stand close to a fifteen year old boy who has just had a 'Joop Bath' and it is not very pleasant.

At risk of boring you, here is an amusing tale that sticks in my mind, an acquaintance of mine a fenland horticulturist grew one year a huge quantity of gardenias in 4inch pots, a 100 ft glass house full. I commented on what a wonderful scent they gave off, his reply was, "You think so, you should try spending four hours at a time in here watering and deadheading and then see what you think, I f***ing hate them, they're a good earner but I will never grow them again!" He explained that the scent made him feel queasy if he spent too long in the greenhouse on hot sunny days.

The problem is there is no real etiquette, many people do not realise they only smell good if you quickly pass them by.

Regards
Dick.

As a teenager in the Sixties, location and finances limited me to things I could buy from Boots and the local chemist, like Brut, Old Spice and a couple of others, and these I (and my contemporaries) tended to apply rather freely.
When I went to work in London, my tastes (and income) changed to the upper-end, more discreet products from Trumper, Floris and Penhaligons, where "less is more".

As a teenager in the Sixties, location and finances limited me to things I could buy from Boots and the local chemist, like Brut, Old Spice and a couple of others, and these I (and my contemporaries) tended to apply rather freely.
When I went to work in London, my tastes (and income) changed to the upper-end, more discreet products from Trumper, Floris and Penhaligons, where "less is more".
I can second this - 'growing up' I relied on birthday presents/christmas presents to obtain my EDTs and suchlike, which often resulted in fairly cheap, 'shower-gel-ish' scented sprays and splashes. Hitting the teenage mark I spent a bit more time looking for 'my' fragrance and came across Hugo Boss Energise. I tended to apply liberally so no doubt you could smell me from a way-away, though I still rather like the scent. As my tastes have matured, as well as starting work (and having a slight pay-rise) I've been able to expand my list of scents, so have something for a particular mood or setting rather than forever smelling like one Mr H. Boss on a daily basis. That being said, I would buy it again, but it would probably lie in amongst the crowd.

Easy does it with EDTs and EDPs in my, recently amended, opinion. I found it reassuring after applying some Fine L'orange Noir, post-shave, that walking into work no one noted it, but as two people stepped into my office (in quite close quarters) only then did they comment on it. Same goes for SWMBO. I have to approach her to smell my fragrances now, rather than her commenting across the room.

Every day is a school day, after all. Practice makes perfect et al.

I think there's a lot to be said for the humble aftershave splash as the ideal personal fragrance. Splash some on, get a blast of scent that fades away after an hour or two with some very subtle wafts of fragrance throughout the day.

Funnily enough I've only recently become aware of the quality there is out there, for years using low to mid range products, it's astounding how many customers now comment on what I am wearing and we're is it from, presumably before wondering when I would leave.

Back
Top Bottom