Steve Woodhead Suribachi Scuttle

Mail call! In the form of a Large Black Suribachi Scuttle.
I can't tell you how long i've been waiting to grab a proper scuttle to keep my lather all toasty. I'm a mix face and bowl latherer and my go to is normally my Fine bowl when I do bowl lather. I've also got a lil DIY large mug and small steel bowl trick I learnt of a turkish barber like a bain-marie, anyway I digress. So after a while of searching I reached out to the proprietor of Steve Woodhead Ceramics, Steve himself. I wanted to see if he'd thought about making his lovely Suribachi Scuttles in a black finish. All I could see on his website and his ebay market place were blue or teak for the darker options. So after some messaging between on myself and Steve he went off to try out some stuff to trail black looks. He played around with some finishes and came up with black glaze and finally a black slip wash and clear glaze. He then came back to me with a sample of the scuttle in the black slip and clear glaze. The size is perfect, sits in my hand like it was custom made for my lil mits lol. To say it works amazingly is an understatement. My Fine bowl has now been put away at least till the runner The Suribachi texture in the lathering top part is like nothing i've used before and whips up lather like magic. And the heat retention to use lather is spot on. Looking at another thread i'll be making my own bung. Now I don't know when he'll have the blacks up on his site for purchase for all but well worth a look out for. And as for me with my new black Suribachi Scuttle i'm a #happyshaver
IMG_20170223_071623.jpg
[/url][/IMG]
IMG_20170223_071623.jpg

IMG_20170223_071154.jpg

Beautiful scuttle. I have the brown scuttle which I use all through the year.

I've tried a few ways to build my lather but I think the best option for me is to place the scuttle on a flat surface.

I wouldn't mind one in black too.
I've tried a couple of ways as well. I like heating it with boiling water then tipping that out to build lather in my hand followed up hot tap water in it again as its flat to just keep things nice and warm. But be warned don't try to build lather with super hot water in it, the top works so well at transferring heat your lather dries out in seconds lol

But be warned don't try to build lather with super hot water in it, the top works so well at transferring heat your lather dries out in seconds

I have experienced that already :) And be careful with synthetic brushes too ;) How do I know that? :D

I don't use boiling water any more, too mush of a fuss really so basically I just fill the scuttle with tap hot water and leave it in the sink submerged in hot water and I also leave the brush in the scuttle to soak while I take a 5 minutes shower. After the shower I keep the water in and build the lather, renew the water and leave it there while I sort myself out for the shave. I get warm lather for 3 passes and pickups and more.

I'm after a nice brush scuttle now.... I haven't found one in the UK yet.

Back
Top Bottom