Rate The Last Film You Watched

London Has Fallen. This is something which wouldn't normally appeal to me but it was on NETFLIX so I had nothing to lose, well apart from a hour and half of my life.
I have to admit I loved it, highly entertaining and well worth a watch.

The Girl on the Train. I enjoyed it and worth a look.

Passengers, with Jennifer Lawrence and Chris Pratt. Blah. An interesting premise, but it dragged with no pace, and both actors pretty much phoned in their parts.
GWyRRCS.jpg

Don't normally go for such things - but I really do like the look of this film!

I'm not a massive Sci-Fi fan either, Blade Runner beginning the exception. This is beyond your average aliens coming to destroy the world sort of film.

I found it really moving, which I really wasn't expecting at all. It also looks massive and beautiful at the same time, plus it's got a great score....Oh and Amy Adams.:p What's not to love?:)

Watched Hell or High Water last night. Not very good at all. It was trying to be moody, funny and stylish and failed on all counts. Not worth your time.

Dude, you've got to be kidding! Hell or High Water was the best film I saw last year (OK, it was a shit year for films). Moody, elegiac, atmospheric, superb acting and soundtrack and proper story telling. Jeff Bridges, Ben Foster and (a surprisingly good) Chris Pine. OK, it was short on spandex-clad, homoerotic superheroes but surely we can do with a (lot) fewer of those.:confused:

Dude, you've got to be kidding! Hell or High Water was the best film I saw last year (OK, it was a shit year for films). Moody, elegiac, atmospheric, superb acting and soundtrack and proper story telling. Jeff Bridges, Ben Foster and (a surprisingly good) Chris Pine. OK, it was short on spandex-clad, homoerotic superheroes but surely we can do with a (lot) fewer of those.:confused:

I thought it was piss poor and I was shocked to see it nominated for an Oscar for Best Picture.o_O But it's it's only like my opinion.:p:D

Went to see Free Fire yesterday. I was really expecting to like it as it is basically an extended gunfight in a warehouse, following an arms deal gone wrong.

How wrong I was.

Once the film's single joke about deconstructing movie gunfight tropes wears off (which happens quite quickly) it gets boring fast. For something as intrinsically dramatic as a gun battle, the director staggeringly manages to drain the film of any drama or tension and you just don't care who is shooting at whom and why. The script consists of a few sub-Tarantino-esque one-liners, barely audible above the sound of gunfire and the writer seems to think that dialogue is automatically witty if every other word is 'fuck'. I managed about an hour of this drivel before leaving. I've seen it written that the director, Ben Wheatley, is the hottest thing in film since Guy Ritchie. Says it all, really.:(

Watched "The Boss" with Melissa McCarthy as a cut throat business woman who loses everything, and then starts to rebuild her lost wealth by profiteering off the back of girl guide style cake sales. There's probably more, but I didn't get that far. Absolute garbage.

the writer seems to think that dialogue is automatically witty if every other word is 'fuck'.

This applies here - at one point we had one girl guide tell another to "Suck My Dick" in a vain attempt to generate a shock laugh. It's not big and it's not clever (n.b. I have no problem with swearing done well: Kick Ass made better use, as did Dead Pool)

It's disappointing - I genuinely think that McCarthy is very funny - she was the best thing in Bridesmaids, and Spy (with The Stathe) is good fun, but this film was lacking in any sense of wit or intelligence.

Can I have my money back?

I'm not a massive Sci-Fi fan either, Blade Runner beginning the exception. This is beyond your average aliens coming to destroy the world sort of film.

I found it really moving, which I really wasn't expecting at all. It also looks massive and beautiful at the same time, plus it's got a great score....Oh and Amy Adams.:p What's not to love?:)

This was the film I saw prior to The Boss... there couldn't be a bigger contrast between two films. Arrival stayed with me for a couple of days afterwards, chewing over the decisions that she had to make. It's a rare film that can be both clever and emotionally engaging.

Glad I was bought the Blu-Ray for my birthday - I'll watch it again.

Back
Top Bottom