Oneblade

I have a E4, G1 and a pal adjustable, I do not have a one blade so I respect your opinion :)
Dear Blademomkey,
after a while with the OB, I cannot put my hand on my heart and say this is the best ever razor. It all depends what one is looking for. The OB shines when technique is an issue, or when one wants a quick BBS in no time, no matter what. I wouldn't for example say that the OB is smoother than my SP or even my E4, or that it cuts better than my RX or my General or the Rocnel SE50. It's the tool though for people who have money, want a BBS no matter what and hate cart shaving with all the down points carts come with. It appeals to people who are not really interested in shaving as much as we do, don't see it as a hobby but just a chore they have to got through every morning. The OB shines without a contestant in the above respect. Having said these though, I do enjoy the shave and I wouldn't part with it now that I took the plunge and got one, even used. I hope I have shed some light.

Dear Blademomkey,
after a while with the OB, I cannot put my hand on my heart and say this is the best ever razor. It all depends what one is looking for. The OB shines when technique is an issue, or when one wants a quick BBS in no time, no matter what. I wouldn't for example say that the OB is smoother than my SP or even my E4, or that it cuts better than my RX or my General or the Rocnel SE50. It's the tool though for people who have money, want a BBS no matter what and hate cart shaving with all the down points carts come with. It appeals to people who are not really interested in shaving as much as we do, don't see it as a hobby but just a chore they have to got through every morning. The OB shines without a contestant in the above respect. Having said these though, I do enjoy the shave and I wouldn't part with it now that I took the plunge and got one, even used. I hope I have shed some light.
Thank you for your honest opinion regarding your OB, it's quite refreshing to hear someone with one who isn't saying it's the best razor ever...although everybody has the right to hold that opinion.
Although I do not have one I can see because of its design it would shine when technique is an issue or if you require a quick BBS in a rush and because of that I can see it having a fan base and also because of its price, it almost, for a lot of us falls into the realms of the unobtainable and because of this makes it more desirable to some.
So once again Kypros thanks for your honesty. :)

Last edited:
Also another thing that might help shed some light on the OB.
My father is in the hospital with pelvis injury and cannot move at all at the moment. I took the task of shaving him every once in a while upon me. For this task, I would never consider using anything else than the OB as with it, it's next to impossible to cut him. While I shave him there is no feel of on my part so had I used anything else, having no feeling while shaving would end in cuts and nicks. The OB performs admirably every single time.

Have taken a deep breath, and ordered the OneBlade.

Have had a very informative dialogue with Tom from the OneBlade support, and they send me this extended information about how to shave with it:

The two main points that I like to stress with guys coming from an SE/DE shaving background relate to angle and pressure...

ANGLE: You want to ensure that you're using a proper angle with the razor which is going to be different than you're used to given the slant and pivot functionality. OneBlade is designed to work best when the registration surfaces — the flat surfaces above and below the opening where the blade protrudes — are both resting on the shaving surface with slightly more pressure being applied to the upper registration surface (area above the blade). This orientation allows the razors pivot function to engage as needed during the course of your shave... and also will ensure the most optimal + mild experience. Sometimes it helps to find the right angle by rotating the handle back away from the shaving surface until the blade stops cutting/loses contact with your skin, then you can rotate it back slightly for the proper angle. Keep in mind that this is very much different than your typical non-slanted SE/DE razor, in which the razor would be essentially perpendicular against your skin. You can in fact shave with OneBlade using a perpendicular angle, but it will be a very aggressive shave / not deliver an optimal experience as the razor was intended.

PRESSURE: Don't apply too much pressure with your OneBlade Razor… and don't attempt to do “too much” on your first pass... as Feather blades are extremely sharp and need to be respected at all times; you really shouldn't have to push down on your razor with any noticeable force whatsoever. You should also understand that there are multiple “passes” that you'll need to take in order to accomplish a proper shave. Approach the first pass with very light pressure with the mindset of simply removing all of the shaving cream and not being concerned with how much of their beard is being removed. This approach sets the stage for a very productive and comfortable 2nd and 3rd pass. Be sure to fully lather between each pass.

I hope current owners of the OneBlade can use this, as it seems a somewhat new technique is required. I'm pretty excited to try it when it arrives, and will possibly post my thoughts and compare it to my ATT SE1 :)

Have taken a deep breath, and ordered the OneBlade.

Have had a very informative dialogue with Tom from the OneBlade support, and they send me this extended information about how to shave with it:

The two main points that I like to stress with guys coming from an SE/DE shaving background relate to angle and pressure...

ANGLE: You want to ensure that you're using a proper angle with the razor which is going to be different than you're used to given the slant and pivot functionality. OneBlade is designed to work best when the registration surfaces — the flat surfaces above and below the opening where the blade protrudes — are both resting on the shaving surface with slightly more pressure being applied to the upper registration surface (area above the blade). This orientation allows the razors pivot function to engage as needed during the course of your shave... and also will ensure the most optimal + mild experience. Sometimes it helps to find the right angle by rotating the handle back away from the shaving surface until the blade stops cutting/loses contact with your skin, then you can rotate it back slightly for the proper angle. Keep in mind that this is very much different than your typical non-slanted SE/DE razor, in which the razor would be essentially perpendicular against your skin. You can in fact shave with OneBlade using a perpendicular angle, but it will be a very aggressive shave / not deliver an optimal experience as the razor was intended.

PRESSURE: Don't apply too much pressure with your OneBlade Razor… and don't attempt to do “too much” on your first pass... as Feather blades are extremely sharp and need to be respected at all times; you really shouldn't have to push down on your razor with any noticeable force whatsoever. You should also understand that there are multiple “passes” that you'll need to take in order to accomplish a proper shave. Approach the first pass with very light pressure with the mindset of simply removing all of the shaving cream and not being concerned with how much of their beard is being removed. This approach sets the stage for a very productive and comfortable 2nd and 3rd pass. Be sure to fully lather between each pass.

I hope current owners of the OneBlade can use this, as it seems a somewhat new technique is required. I'm pretty excited to try it when it arrives, and will possibly post my thoughts and compare it to my ATT SE1 :)
I hope you enjoy your new razor. :)

The Thing that Gets Me with the OneBlade..I have Used it..Folks are Paying Hundreds for a Razor that Uses a Feather SE Blade that a LOT of the OneBlade Users Don't Care for..Including Me..Its Junk..2nd Thing..A Lot & I Mean a Lot of Folks are Using a Modded Gem Blade because the Razor was Designed around a Junk Blade..o_O

Now..No One But No One Can Tell Me that Spending All this Money on a Razor then Using a Modded Blade isn't Friggin Bizarre to Say the Least..Oh Yeah..Greatest Razor on the Planet..Wait Till I get the Old Scissors Out & Make a Blade to Fit it..Give Me a Break..:eek:

Nuff Said..;)

Billy

Last edited:
The Thing that Gets Me with the OneBlade..I have Used it..Folks are Paying Hundreds for a Razor that Uses a Feather SE Blade that a LOT of the OneBlade Users Don't Care for..Including Me..Its Junk..2nd Thing..A Lot & I Mean a Lot of Folks are Using a Modded Gem Blade because the Razor was Designed around a Junk Blade..o_O

Now..No One But No One Can Tell Me that Spending All this Money on a Razor then Using a Modded Blade isn't Friggin Bizarre to Say the Least..Oh Yeah..Greatest Razor on the Planet..Wait Till I get the Old Scissors Out & Make a Blade to Fit it..Give Me a Break..:eek:

Nuff Said..;)

Billy

Informal, and completely unscientific, polls were taken on two separate shaving forums asking OneBlade users who had used the GEM and Feather which blade they preferred. By a very wide margin, something like 4 or 5 to 1, OneBlade users preferred the Feather.

I also prefer the Feather, by far (!), and I am the one that came up with the mod for clipping the GEM to fit properly.

I think that a lot of guys that like the GEM more, feel that way because they're so used to using that particular blade in almost every vintage non-injector SE out there. They are used to its qualities and characteristics, like the fact that its much cheaper, and can be used for many more shaves. But...

Feather makes the sharpest blade on the planet, bar none, and the sharper an edge, the faster it will degrade = less shaves per blade. In my experience, the Feather will give the closer, longer lasting BBS shave. The Feather FHS is also smoother. The GEM takes a couple shaves to smooth out, whilst the Feather is smooth as butter right out of the wrapper. And you have to consider who the OneBlade is being marketed to; cartridge users with money to spend that want that perfect BBS shave when they haven't learned technique. If I was a cart user, and my first shave with the OneBlade was with a fresh GEM, which is about as smooth as a porcupine's arse in its first use, I would have returned the razor and demanded a refund!

In sum:

Feather FHS: Smoother, sharper, more expensive, edge degrades quickly (2 shaves in my experience)

GEM PTFE: Cheaper, holds an edge longer (4-6 shaves in my experience), very rough/not smooth first shave or two, not as sharp

For me, the clear winner is Feather cause it's smoother and sharper. The GEM could only win if I cared about spending money on blades, which I don't.

But, I'm glad I have the option of mod-ing the GEM in case the Feather is ever discontinued, and well, having extra options is just good... Ultimately, though, what makes the OneBlade special is not the blade, but rather its unique, innovate design and top of the line materials that come together to give a top tier shave in the easiest and safest possible manner.

I briefly tried the GEM blade in my Oneblade but have gone back to the FHS10. No complaints. One of the greatest shaves ever, although the far cheaper General is probably a better razor :/
I also find the general a smoother razor with the pro and I also get perfect BB's with either and no cuts or irritation. I guess the OB is for people who still have to work on technique but don't want to. Having said the above though, I would still not part with my OB, but also get the General in brass and SS when it's out.

Back
Top Bottom