Japanese SR

Evening chaps

Just seen on another forum :rolleyes: a thread on Japanese SR's, they look very nice (newbie here). How do they compare to Sheffield steel? I want a SR to try & had a lot of excellent & appreciated advice from @Fergiebilly as I'm from Sheffield I wanted a Sheffield SR, but these Japanese ones have got me thinking.

Do Japanese ones command a higher price?

Sorry for the newbie post.

Cheers
Shaun

There are few different types of Japanese Straight Razors like Kamisori, weird looking ones like Kamisori with scales and obviously Western Style ones. One thing in common that they are made of harder steel compared to Sheffields and Solingens and French razors, making them to hone more tricky as I've heard. Western types are sought after and regarded as very good quality and more expensive than their European counterparts. I don't have any Japanese SR so all the information I gave is from what I've read on the forums and social media. Jamie aka @pugh-the-special-one has a rather big Japanese SR collection and some of them were/are New Old Stock. I don't know where would be the best place to buy one but if you search e-bay there are few sellers from Japan selling SR although prices shows US$ and sometimes Japanese Currency, you can watch them and see how much they go for and make a comparison.

Evening chaps

Just seen on another forum :rolleyes: a thread on Japanese SR's, they look very nice (newbie here). How do they compare to Sheffield steel? I want a SR to try & had a lot of excellent & appreciated advice from @Fergiebilly as I'm from Sheffield I wanted a Sheffield SR, but these Japanese ones have got me thinking.

Do Japanese ones command a higher price?

Sorry for the newbie post.

Cheers
Shaun
Some do , some don't! :) I've seen and bought a jap straight on eBay for not a lot but you could spend hundreds on one of the better ones, talk to Billy.

Last edited:
There are few different types of Japanese Straight Razors like Kamisori, weird looking ones like Kamisori with scales and obviously Western Style ones. One thing in common that they are made of harder steel compared to Sheffields and Solingens and French razors, making them to hone more tricky as I've heard. Western types are sought after and regarded as very good quality and more expensive than their European counterparts. I don't have any Japanese SR so all the information I gave is from what I've read on the forums and social media. Jamie aka @pugh-the-special-one has a rather big Japanese SR collection and some of them were/are New Old Stock. I don't know where would be the best place to buy one but if you search e-bay there are few sellers from Japan selling SR although prices shows US$ and sometimes Japanese Currency, you can watch them and see how much they go for and make a comparison.
+ 1..What He Said..They are Very Easy to Hone Mind in NOS or Good Nick..The Grinds are Excellent & they Hone Up Very Well in My Experience..The Most Perfect Bevels I have are On My Japanese SRs & that is Reflected in the Shave..:)

Billy

DSC_0320_zps7bps7v7g.jpg

DSC_0317_zps0dvrc87c.jpg
DSC_0364_zps5wo1cdvm.jpg

Japanese Hamilton 1/2 Hollow 6/8th...Atlas 1000 1/4 Hollow 7/8th..A Real Heavy Weight Blade this One..Both of these are Swedish Steel..FUJI 6/8th 1/2 Hollow..This One has a Japanese Steel Blade...All these Razors have Impeccable Grinds & Shave Like a Laser..:)

Billy

It happened...like the 1st one, lovely jubbly.
Cheers..The 1st One is a Bit of a Rare Bird I think..It was One of My 1st SRs..It has a Modified Heel..Probably Due to Heel Damage at Some Point or Preference by a Previous Owner..It Shaves Laser Pinpoint Accurate..You have to Experience a Razor like this to Realize what I am Talkin About..:)

Billy

Cheers..The 1st One is a Bit of a Rare Bird I think..It was One of My 1st SRs..It has a Modified Heel..Probably Due to Heel Damage at Some Point or Preference by a Previous Owner..It Shaves Laser Pinpoint Accurate..You have to Experience a Razor like this to Realize what I am Talkin About..:)

Billy

Yes I do need to experience it, a fiver plus a Twix bar should buy it...surely...

I posted this before, but look on ebay for a US seller, 'april7th1989' He/She has a good stock of Japanese razors.
I've bought three now, all arrived quickly without any nasty RM surprises ref duty ( paid upfront I believe). Every one is fabulous- and has been said, very easy to refresh. I've not had to pay more than £70 inc delivery- you could pay more if you want- the quality of the blades is outstanding.

I posted this before, but look on ebay for a US seller, 'april7th1989' He/She has a good stock of Japanese razors.
I've bought three now, all arrived quickly without any nasty RM surprises ref duty ( paid upfront I believe). Every one is fabulous- and has been said, very easy to refresh. I've not had to pay more than £70 inc delivery- you could pay more if you want- the quality of the blades is outstanding.

Can't find any member with that username :oops:

Back
Top Bottom