Astra blade fans

Well. As I got some given I thought I'd give one a load up in the Barbaros. What a wonderful idea. Wonderful that is if you love a neck full of weepers and an aftershave feel like a Dragons gob. I chucked the rest where they belong..The bin. I wouldn't give a tramp one to use. The next time I see an Astra close up I want it to be with a doped up chav behind the wheel just before he plough's me over to my death. Astra's shove 'em right up your A@*e.
Oh by the way does that qualify me for review of the week?
So am I reading between the lines you aren't keen on these?

Of the limited number of blades I have tried this is a favourite. In fact the Astra SP and Astra SS are very similar and are readily available. A good all round performer.

I have recently bought 50 of both.
I WAS ADVISED TO TRY THESE FIRST AND AM BLOWN AWAY WITH THEM USING MY 34C HD
As previously mentioned I am yet try any other blade but my theory is particularly as a newbie.

If it "ain't broke don't fix it!" :)

I have recently bought 50 of both.
I WAS ADVISED TO TRY THESE FIRST AND AM BLOWN AWAY WITH THEM USING MY 34C HD
As previously mentioned I am yet try any other blade but my theory is particularly as a newbie.

If it "ain't broke don't fix it!" :)
Most of us have found that nearly all of the Russian-made blades are at the top of the list.

Count me in too as a fan of the Astra SP's. They work great for me, as long as I only use them for three days. But three days is really 9 shaves anyway, as I always do a three-pass shave. They're so cheap, why try to make them last longer?
Here in Germany they cost €10.98 post-free for 100. I love the Pol-silvers too, but they don't last any longer than the ASPs, and they're quite a bit more more expensive.
I alternate between the two at the moment, with occasional use of the Persona blues between times, but when the Pol-silvers are used up, I'll only be buying ASPs, unless I can find somewhere that sells Pol-silvers as cheap as them.

I'm in agreement with your comment. I've got a butt-load of Polsilver, Astra SP, and Voskhod blades. I don't expect to run out for years. I'd like to get a couple of hundred of Gillette 7 o'clock Yellows, and Perma-Sharps, but I'd never get through them. They'd become grave goods.

I got a pack of Astras included with my ATT R1 and I've just got around to giving them a whirl. Thye don't feel quite as slick as my regular Pol-silvers but the results seem OK. Nice two-pass shave this morning with Kent (MWF) soap and Astra.

But three days is really 9 shaves anyway, as I always do a three-pass shave.
Not wishing to split hairs but a shave is not a single pass. It is any number of passes to complete the job. The job in hand also varies from CCS to BBS so this determines the number of passes needed. This is never going to be a level playing field; we just enjoy shaving.
I have got 36 shaves out of an Astra SP, all 4 passes. I agree, it is a great blade as is the Astra SS.

I love them one of my favourites (or at least the Super Platinums): nearly as efficient as Polsilvers for me, a tad smoother and great value though I don't push them as hard as the Pols so it balances out. They are absolutely fantastic in my 37C slant:a smooth, nick free, weeper free and irritation free bbs shave with three passes. anI can get 100 for £7 on ebay.

Not wishing to split hairs but a shave is not a single pass. It is any number of passes to complete the job. The job in hand also varies from CCS to BBS so this determines the number of passes needed. This is never going to be a level playing field; we just enjoy shaving.
I have got 36 shaves out of an Astra SP, all 4 passes. I agree, it is a great blade as is the Astra SS.

I think the last time my beard would have allowed 36 shaves with one blade I must have been about 14.....:D

Back
Top Bottom