"Razor burn". Tried everything I can think of.

Every time I shave, I end up getting red marks/spots appearing on the skin of my neck under the jaw. They last for a long time and are more marked immediately after shaving although they do persist for some time and I have even noticed some spots filled with white fluid (possibly pus) developing from them at times. There usually isn't much bleeding when I shave. I've looked it up and it appears to be "razor burn".

I have had this problem for as long as I can remember shaving. I have tried all I can think of to prevent them. I used to shave with cheap disposable blades but switched to Gilette Blue II disposable blades. I never reuse a blade, I apply gilette gel that claims to be "razor burn resistant" but clearly isn't. I wash my face and neck thoroughly with soap every morning in the shower. On the days that I do shave (1 per week), I'll wash my face and neck in the shower with hot water and soap, wait some time, go to the sink to shave and then apply cold water. I also never shave against the direction of hair growth.
Despite all these measures, I still get these frustrating and very noticeable marks. I don't know why they keep occurring?

Hope some people could give me some advice as to what I can do to prevent them, treat them or just general advice regarding this matter.

Every time I shave, I end up getting red marks/spots appearing on the skin of my neck under the jaw. They last for a long time and are more marked immediately after shaving although they do persist for some time and I have even noticed some spots filled with white fluid (possibly pus) developing from them at times. There usually isn't much bleeding when I shave. I've looked it up and it appears to be "razor burn".

I have had this problem for as long as I can remember shaving. I have tried all I can think of to prevent them. I used to shave with cheap disposable blades but switched to Gilette Blue II disposable blades. I never reuse a blade, I apply gilette gel that claims to be "razor burn resistant" but clearly isn't. I wash my face and neck thoroughly with soap every morning in the shower. On the days that I do shave (1 per week), I'll wash my face and neck in the shower with hot water and soap, wait some time, go to the sink to shave and then apply cold water. I also never shave against the direction of hair growth.
Despite all these measures, I still get these frustrating and very noticeable marks. I don't know why they keep occurring?

Hope some people could give me some advice as to what I can do to prevent them, treat them or just general advice regarding this matter.

Wow that doesn't sound good.

I understand that those Gillette gels make the problem worse so it's best to use a good and slick soap maybe even a scent less soap.

The blades you are using are very decent, having said that, what works for me might not work for you. Voskhod blades, one of the cheapest blade you can buy, it's actually one of the smoothest for me.... so you might still need to find the right blade for you.

I used to get a little bit of razor burn when I first started and it was because I either over shaved / blade too old / too much pressure / lather too thin. In time I learnt to correct all those little mistakes.

To cure the problem I used to use baby bottom butter.... just a little bit on the problem area.

Eventually, the razor burn went away.

Pressure and angle of the blade maybe a problem.
You said that you dont go against the hair growth but have you actually mapoed the growth? On my neck area, the hair growths alover the place and have to shave accordingly, otherwise I end up with the same problem.

Ditch the gel as suggested get a good plain shaving soap and brush.
But personally all razor burn stopped from the time I ended the Gillette multiblade madness and learned to shave with a DE. I cant remember the right term but its the essential difference of one blade cutting as opposed to the tug and cut of the multi blade cartridge.
Get a starter DE and a few packs of blades you will never look back

I've had ' skin clinic referalls ' level probs myself m8, so do understand and sympathise. First thing I'd suggest is too much pressure, even though you feel you're keeping it light. Just think of shaving the foam, not the hairs. And, for me, ditch the gel and get a ' proper ' soap or cream. Palmolive sticks are cheap as chips at the supermarket, Kiss my Face cream avoids the chemical nasties and there's any amount of soaps ir creams out there for sensitive skins. I'd also go for a cheap double edge razor and blades. Be careful you're not pre irritating the skin by over soaping and rubbing it or using water hotter than lukewarm. After shaving add a dash of malt vinegar to lukewarm water and rinse your face ( dermatologist told me this trick years ago at a clinic ) and that'll restore the PH balance of the skin quickly. Then pat the face dry with the softest material you can find. Even a baby's napkin ( unused for preference ! ) can be helpful. As a good skin soother aloe vera or arnica gels don't cost much and I've found them both very good.

Don't lose heart, things will get better, honest.

JohnnyO. o/

Two things could help here. 1. Use a real shave soap. A cream is fine as long as it is a good one. Proaso or Arko are easy to find on the web and cost hardly anything compered to canned muck. A cheap brush to apply it again either from Wilkinson or a synthetic from the bay will help build a good protective lather. Lots of vids on youtube to see how to build a good lather.
2. When shaving use just enough pressure to remove the lather only (Nice and light) do not aim to remove all your beard in one go. You will need two passes over your face. The first pass will reduce your stubble and the second will remove it leaving a smooth finish. Twin blades will clog and not cut when full so a single blade if you want to use disposables will cut better. Finish with a cold water splash and some Aloe Vera gel. Purer the better. I use 99% pure from Amazon. That will reduce irritation and redness. Leave the aftershave off your face and apply it to your chest and back of your neck. It'll last longer, small better and not irritate your shaved face.
Hope that helps. Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Lots of good advice in the above comments... the only possibilities that I can add are: 1. The razor that you're using. 2. Alum. Use right after you finish, and make sure you rinse it off well, and 3. a good alcohol after shave.
The razor- I'd suggest an adjustable. A Gillette or a Merkur.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For me it's all about the prep , not to be big headed but my shaving regime is spot on and I very very rarely get any kind of irritation due to shaving .. my secret ?!?! .... simple - Hot shower / bath .

So my shaving regime is that I shave in the bath , using even a cheap brush , razor , blade and shave soap/cream won't make any difference than using the expensive products .

So prep is my best advice really and also your post shave regime , known weather you need an alcohol than one or Alum block , balm or sometimes nothing .

Finally lot of the advice on here is good also like only shave with the grain , don't push for that perfect shave everytime [emoji4].

Good luck and hope your next shave is a better one .

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

A long shot but stop using hot water prior to shaving and during the shave and go cold turkey (so to speak). Wash your face with cold water, rinse cold during and after the shave. Your skin may be very sensitive. So really concentrate and lighten up on the pressure and cease the hot water. Both may be causing inflammation. What do you have to lose but irritation?

I get razor bumps on my neck, most probably from ingrowing hairs post-shave. That is mainly attributed to too much pressure as mentioned by a few others above. It's something that I'm working on every time I shave and I can see where the differences lie.

Also mentioned earlier, get a decent brush and soap. Soaps are cheap (as mentioned by @JohnnyO , palmolive sticks are circa 50p each and do an admirable job). Brushes can be had cheaply (body shop synthetic at about £8 if memory serves me correctly).

Go lightly and good luck!

Get yourself an Omega 49 hog. THese ARE UNDER A TENNAR AND ARE HIGHY RECOMMENDED.
Secondly I would suggest using DISTILLED WHITCH HAZEL.
I find that stuff can work miracles.

Hope I am of some help to you.

Back
Top Bottom