Rate The Last Film You Watched

It's an acronym for Hello To Jason Isaacs and comes from Kermode and Mayo's film review show on radio 5. I've just listened to the first part of this week's podcast and, as the film was mentioned in the first 5 mins, I wondered whether it had triggered your decision to watch.

Oh OK thanks...
No I hadn't heard the podcast. I went onto iplayer to see if there were any new episodes of the Film Review with Mark kermode and noticed it then.

I've know about the film for years. The Pixies, David Lynch and Hitchcock have all referenced it but never got the chance to it.

I've know about the film for years. The Pixies, David Lynch and Hitchcock have all referenced it but never got the chance to it.

Albert souffre (Albert suffers)
In 1992, some debuting unknown (still not very famous I'm afraid) French director had the idea to make a film of which the music would be only made of Pixies songs. A coming of age dramedy, not bad and rather entertaining (not a masterpiece either), easy to watch when you're a young adult. I must confess I only saw it at that time because of the Pixies...

Only 3700 people have watched it on YT since 2014:

Albert likes redheads, ostriches and sleepless nights, Albert is twenty...

media.jpg

Albert souffre (Albert suffers)
In 1992, some debuting unknown (still not very famous I'm afraid) French director had the idea to make a film of which the music would be only made of Pixies songs. A coming of age dramedy, not bad and rather entertaining (not a masterpiece either), easy to watch when you're a young adult. I must confess I only saw it at that time because of the Pixies...

Only 3700 people have watched it on YT since 2014:

Albert likes redheads, ostriches and sleepless nights, Albert is twenty...

media.jpg

I wasn't aware of it....I guess I wasn't the only one.:) I'll give it a watch. Thank you.

Allied
Actors (Pitt and Cottillard) seemed to be transparent in this movie...

Small Crimes
Not exceptional but rather entertaining black comedy from Netflix with the guy playing Jamie Lanister in GoT

The 24 hour party people
Pretty good film about the disc label The Factory, Tony Wilson, Ian Curtis, Joy Division, New Order, The Happy Mondays, Shaun Ryder, etc.

Recently, with veiled reluctance, agreed to sit down and watch La La Land. I'd rate it as a surprise. Not at all what I was expecting. At the beginning I wanted to melt into the couch, but having my preconceptions slapped some helped me enjoy it much more that I expected to. And have to admit my heart did twinge a little at the end!

Last one I watched that really made me smile was this

Theme song alone is worth it! Sometimes on the Horror Channel if you fancy a giggle

Kong: Skull Island 7/10
I thought it was again a boring American blockbuster, but at some point the film took an interesting turn, thanks to an almost funny B movie vibe: something between Apocalypse Now, Jurassic Parc, Moby Dick and the 6th continent, under LSD...

Warmachine 8.5/10
The first 25 minutes are a pretty good summary of the absurd situation in there. Brad Pitt looks too much like a caricature, but the whole film is quite good and funny (although it shouldn't).

upload_2017-5-29_9-26-48.jpeg

Mrs D and I watched The Railway Man last night. For those who do not know the story, it is about Eric Lomax a signals officer in the war who was tortured by a Japanese interpreter. Late in life Eric sets out to find and confront his torturer. It is not an easy watch but it is worth it, an amazing story and Mr Lomax was more of a man than I can ever hope to be. 9/10

Back
Top Bottom