New Razor Advice

Brian - mostly what others have said -

1) Merkur 37 slant - my second razor and still in use
2) Merkur Progress - a classic, my third razor, I use it often
3) ES Claymore - an assertive razor, so it might suit your growth? Chromed head with an excellent stainless-steel standard thread handle as part of the deal
4) Ikon Shavecraft 103 Short-comb - again assertive - available with or without handle.

All easily available and realistically priced. As to blades I would hesitate to comment.

Hope this helps - cheers - I.
+1 on the Merkur 37c slant,a excellent razor... Paired up with a Voskhod blade gives a sublime shave.;)

Last edited:
Remember above all that any razor is merely a blade holder.
I understand your point but I found my perfect plate #3 pretty quickly and my Rockwell is no longer an adjustable it is still my best shaver and I do own some nice razors.

You know that plate #4 on the version 2 has almost the exact same blade gap (0.024") as the Gillette Tech which is 0.025". #3 is milder. ;)

That is as maybe but the Tech has never given me a BBS two pass shave. I could get there in 5 passes. The Rockwell does, it's all down to design. The Rockwell is superior in this regard in my opinion. you aren't going to start suggesting we all sell our SS razors for old rusty Gillettes that shave better for cheaper are you? We've been there before with a different name;)

Last edited:
I have tried 20 or so different razors and they all do the job but then again I am not looking for the sublime just happy to get a good daily shave, still if I was to recommend one to try as a second razor it would be a Muhle r41 with maybe a Polsilver blade combined with proper prep and technique.

Back
Top Bottom