merkur blade.jpg Just finished the 6th shave with my last Merkur blade.
There's a strange consensus amongst many shavers that it's a inferior or even a crappy blade.
I wonder if they ever even tried it or are they merely contributing to the echo room
1f914.png

I find the Merkur blade sharp and smooth. It provided a very close and long lasting shave in 1½ pass atg.
Set-up: Merkur slant, Merkur blade, Epsilon Silvertip Fibre, La Toja shaving soap

View attachment 28054 Just finished the 6th shave with my last Merkur blade.
There's a strange consensus amongst many shavers that it's a inferior or even a crappy blade.
I wonder if they ever even tried it or are they merely contributing to the echo room
1f914.png

I find the Merkur blade sharp and smooth. It provided a very close and long lasting shave in 1½ pass atg.
Set-up: Merkur slant, Merkur blade, Epsilon Silvertip Fibre, La Toja shaving soap

I didn't rate them. And yes, I tried them. YMMV as always.

I didn't rate them. And yes, I tried them. YMMV as always.
Same for me, I did not get on with these blades at all, and the same for me with modern German made Wilkinson Sword blades. I really like the Indian made Gillette Wilkinson Sword blades and the Wilkinson Sword Economie blades are very good, but oddly these are I think made in Germany so should be the same or similar to the regular Wilkinson Sword blades.........

Odd as I find Merkur blades to be very good but German Wilko's to be awful... I would never have guessed they came from the same production line, can anyone confirm thats the case for certain?

Tried one today in my 34C to refresh my opinion, very nice blade. Had a smooth, comfortable shave. I found this to be a smoother shaver than the Gillette Silver Blue blade I had previously been using. I wouldn't buy a packet of these though, the price is just too high to justify. They are a good blade but not cost effective compared to Voskhod, Rapira etc.

I must try one sometime soon as I have always stayed away given the consensus and cost. Although, I'm sure I must have a couple somewhere after all these years and all these razors....sheesh!

They feel a bit tuggy (all German blades do in my experience, hence the overall negative feeling towards them... I think) but I have never had any irritation after using a Merkur/Timor/Souplex blade, I don't think I can say the same about any other, perhaps I just have a Teutonic beard that suits them :p

Back
Top Bottom