Thick as a whale omelette

Unfortunately, I rarely (like never...:() have the occasion to swear or to insult, but I still hope I could use some of those words some day.

Furthermore, it is presented by pretty cute young ladies with a good sense of humour.

The politically correct list (no "bugger" in it though):

The video about British accents is also good, but it may not sound funny to Brits. The Northern Welsh accent is... How to say that... I can't find words.

Sod is another good one. I was quite surprised not to see bugger featured, that's one that surprises me when I hear it from an American.

That's what struck me (see my original post). To me, "bugger" is the stereotypical British slang insult/word with many meanings according to the context.

Agreed, it too has many uses. I definitely got the impression from watching the videos that we're more inventive with the language than the Americans.

I remember when I was in my teens my mum disapproving of me referring to someone as a tosser until I pointed out that "bugger" was one of her favourites and that surely that was worse? To her credit she did concede the point. Hugh Grant has based an entire career on looking slightly flustered and exclaiming "bugger!", so it's a shame it missed its chance in the spotlight.

I'd never heard the explanation of the origins of "berk" but it does make sense.

Back
Top Bottom