(First impressions) Maseto 24mm Silvertip Badger Brush

I used the Maseto 24mm Silvertip for the first time last night so I thought I'd give you good good people my initial impressions.

The knot is very tidy and symmetrical. It's up there with the shavemac and Thäter brushes I own. Yes it's THAT good. Running the dry brush across my palm I didn't feel much backbone but I remember thinking the same about my Saponificio Varesino brush when it was dry....
20170809_100305-jpg.16116

I washed the brush with warm water and Fairy liquid. A quick sniff and there wasn't any funkiness or bleach smell detected. I used a shampoo and conditioner next (L'Oréal no less). As soon as I started massaging the shampoo through the knot you could feel how soft it was and it started creating loads of lather. I let it standing for or so 5 minutes and rinsed it out.
I moved on to a test lather with TOBS Sandalwood and within seconds it had created a bowl full of thick lather. I left the soap in the brush for a few hours until my shave later.
Test lather:
20170809_184252-jpg.16118

I rinsed the brush out and gave it a quick towel dry ready for my SOTD photo. It was only then you got the true scale of the brush. In full bloom it's MOSSIVE! I used Truefitt and Hill's Grafton cream and again within seconds it had created loads of lather.
When I finally used it on my face it was one of those ‘moments'. It was shear class. You got the ‘wall of badger' as some people have decided and the backbone was definitely present. It behaved very much my like my Saponificio Varesino brush. When using painting strokes the backbone is there. The knot is big but not too big unlike the 30mm (Maseto) knot I've tried in the past. The flow through was excellent too.

My SOTD photo:
20170809_220415-jpg.16127

Here's a photo of the 24mm Silvertip next to the 24mm Finest:
20170810_064413-jpg.16138

So far I've been massively impressed with this brush. I will see how it works with a hard soap but for now it's up there with very best brushes I own.

Cheers
Rob

Last edited:
I used the Maseto 24mm Silvertip for the first time last night so I thought I'd give you good good people my initial impressions.

The knot is very tidy and symmetrical. It's up there with the shavemac and Thäter brushes I own. Yes it's THAT good. Running the dry brush across my palm I didn't feel much backbone but I remember thinking the same about my Saponificio Varesino brush when it was dry....
20170809_100305-jpg.16116

I washed the brush with warm water and Fairy liquid. A quick sniff and there wasn't any funkiness or bleach smell detected. I used a shampoo and conditioner next (L'Oréal no less). As soon as I started massaging the shampoo through the knot you could feel how soft it was and it started creating loads of lather. I let it standing for or so 5 minutes and rinsed it out.
I moved on to a test lather with TOBS Sandalwood and within seconds it had created a bowl full of thick lather. I left the soap in the brush for a few hours until my shave later.
Test lather:
20170809_184252-jpg.16118

I rinsed the brush out and gave it a quick towel dry ready for my SOTD photo. It was only then you got the true scale of the brush. In full bloom it's MOSSIVE! I used Truefitt and Hill's Grafton cream and again within seconds it had created loads of lather.
When I finally used it on my face it was one of those ‘moments'. It was shear class. You got the ‘wall of badger' as some people have decided and the backbone was definitely present. It behaved very much my like my Saponificio Varesino brush. When using painting strokes the backbone is there. The knot is big but not too big unlike the 30mm (Maseto) knot I've tried in the past. The flow through was excellent too.

My SOTD photo:
20170809_220415-jpg.16127

Here's a photo of the 24mm Silvertip next to the 24mm Finest:
20170810_064413-jpg.16138

So far I've been massively impressed with this brush. I will see how it works with a hard soap but for now it's up there with very best brushes I own.

Cheers
Rob

Good review of the silvertip Rob , I'm still waiting for my 24mm 2 band to arrive :rolleyes:

Great pics and review, I'm really tempted to grab one.

Which handle do you find more ergonomic?

I think i'm going to hold out for now, and see if they offer anymore colours in the near future.

@Rohleder asked the same question last night. Now having used the Atlanta properly I can say the Spectrum is more ergonomic.

Last edited:
There is nothing not to like about these brushes. Yes, some people say the knot tends to doughnut when loading. That doesn't bother me one iota I think you have to consider the low price and overall quality of the product before knocking these brushes. I doubt you can get anywhere near the quality for under £100 from any other brush maker.

Ordered a Memphis 24mm silvertip which was posted on 08 August and I received it today. Have done the test lather etc. and it seems to be as good as TSRers et al say. Will be interesting to see if the Memphis handle proves to be awkward. Unfortunately, I am already considering getting another one :( Until you chaps started extolling the virtues of the Masetos I thought I was happy with what I already got. Oh well.

Micheal

Back
Top Bottom