Synthetic around £30 mark

Recommend me a nice soft synthetic brush around the £30 mark for bowl lathering with cream please.

Looking at EJ, Muhle & Razorock for now. Razorock wins on price but I prefer the look of the EJ & Muhle handles. Yaqi seem popular but not sure I can be arsed with waiting for overseas shipping unless they really are worth it.

Thanks

Recommend me a nice soft synthetic brush around the £30 mark for bowl lathering with cream please.

Looking at EJ, Muhle & Razorock for now. Razorock wins on price but I prefer the look of the EJ & Muhle handles. Yaqi seem popular but not sure I can be arsed with waiting for overseas shipping unless they really are worth it.

Thanks
You seem to have made your mind up already! :)

Thanks guys. I now have a Razorock synthetic plissoft 24mm black barber handle brush on the way. Seems a good safe choice and reasonable price for what I'm after. Believe me I could have deliberated for days or longer on such choices, but forced myself to make a decision. Being so indecisive over the spending of £17.99 is kind of annoying, I spent hours yesterday reading up on synthetic brush options & reviews, but hopefully I have made a good choice!

I think you'll be happy with your choice. I have the Razorock Big Bruce (26mm). It looks good, and I couldn't be happier with it after about six months of use.

Keep in mind that if you haven't used a synth before, there are some tweaks to the process. It doesn't hold water like a badger/boar. If you don't get rid of the excess water after dipping it in water (no soaking required), then it floods back out of the brush while lathering.

This is not a problem, just a difference.

I wet it. Then I give it a firm squeeze and a couple of solid shakes. Then load. After that, as I lather, I add drops of water as I build a face lather till I get the moisture levels as I desire.

It is very soft to the skin, but also firm enough for my tastes. I can't justify buying another brush, but that's never stopped me..

Yes I agree the new generation of synthetics are they way to go. Razorock, Edwin Jagger, Muhle and Fine are all top notch, however the Muhle Silver Tip Fibre (also used in EJ brushes) is superior in my opinion. They never lose their shape or develop holes, unlike some synthetics. Never use my badgers now!

Last edited:
I think you'll be happy with your choice. I have the Razorock Big Bruce (26mm). It looks good, and I couldn't be happier with it after about six months of use.

Keep in mind that if you haven't used a synth before, there are some tweaks to the process. It doesn't hold water like a badger/boar. If you don't get rid of the excess water after dipping it in water (no soaking required), then it floods back out of the brush while lathering.

This is not a problem, just a difference.

I wet it. Then I give it a firm squeeze and a couple of solid shakes. Then load. After that, as I lather, I add drops of water as I build a face lather till I get the moisture levels as I desire.

It is very soft to the skin, but also firm enough for my tastes. I can't justify buying another brush, but that's never stopped me..

This will be my first synthetic, so thanks for the tips

Indeed, the MÜHLE Silvertip Fibre synthetic knot is the only one that feels "natural" to me. All the others, with Plissoft or Ãœbersoft knots (Razorock, Stirling, Whipped Dog, Plisson) have an artificial backbone feel. Many are okay with that, but I cannot get over it.

Like:
MÜHLE Silvertip Fibre knot (larger sizes)

Neutral:
MÜHLE Silvertip Fibre knot (small size)
Frank Shaving Pur-Tech knot
Ãœbersoft type knots

Dislikes:
Plissoft fibre knots
Omega Hi-Brush
Omega S-Brush
"3rd generation" knots

As always, YMMV, and I am probably very picky.

The only synthetic I kept is my Edwin Jagger Silvertip Fibre L brush. The XL is luxurious but just too large for me.

Note: I have not tried the new Tuxedo knots yet.

--
Pitralon forever - Real pens have a nib - If it doesn't tick, it's not a watch.

Last edited:
Well I'm really pleased with the Razorock Synthetic plissoft barber brush. Lovely and soft on the skin. Just figuring out the lathering for a synth & remembering that there's no need to soak it. Really nice brush though.

Well I'm really pleased with the Razorock Synthetic plissoft barber brush. Lovely and soft on the skin. Just figuring out the lathering for a synth & remembering that there's no need to soak it. Really nice brush though.
Like I said; YMMV ;)

--
Pitralon forever - Real pens have a nib - If it doesn't tick, it's not a watch.

Back
Top Bottom