How many shaves per blade

FYI below of various type of razors (I have too many) along with maximum shaves per blade in my den.

Astra Superior Platinum: 5 or 6 shaves max.
Feather Hi-Stainles: 3 or 4 shaves max.
Gillette Nacet: 5 or 6 shaves max.
Gillette 7 O'Clock Green Super Stainless: 4 or 5 shaves max.
Gillette 7 O'Clock Yellow SharpEdge: 5 or 6 shaves max.
Gillette Silver Blue: 5 or 6 shaves max.
Gillette Sputnik: 4 or 5 shaves max.
Kai Stainless Steel: 5 or 6 shaves max.
Ladas Super Stainless: 3 or 4 shaves max.
Personna Platinum (Israeli Reds): 5 or 6 shaves max.
Perma-Sharp Super: 7 or 8 shaves max.
Polsilver Super Iridium: 7 or 8 shaves max.
Rapira Platinum Lux: 4 or 5 shaves max.
Rapira Voskhod: 3 or 4 shaves max.
Super Max Blue Diamond Platinum Coated: 2 or 3 shaves max.
Wizamet Polsilver Brown: 5 or 6 shaves max.
German Wilkinson Sword: 4 or 5 shaves max.
:eek:

I shave six times a week (unless I'm on holiday) and I'm pretty stable at two blades per week, though some blades last longer than others (even from the same pack IMO!). I bought 100 Astras a year ago and I swear there was noticeable difference in feel and useful life from blade to blade.

I did an experiment a while back with one of those 'blade saver' strops intended for carts, but I stropped my DE razor with it, and to my surprise I found blades did actually feel ok for a bit longer, but I put that down to the dohicky cleaning the edge. I've lost it now and don't miss it.

8afLf6K.jpg

To Give You a Straight Razor Experience of this Question..I Hone Razors for Me & Others..I Get Asked How Long a Freshly Honed SR Blade will Last through Normal Stropping Before it May Need a Refresh on Pastes or a Refresh Hone..Its Hard if Not Impossible to Answer Due to Many Cause & Effect Multi Variables..o_O

The One thing I Do Know is that the Level of User Skill is Probably the Main Cause of Blunting a Blade Fast..One or a Few Shaves Can Prematurely Blunt a Freshly Honed SR..Yeah..On the Face..Not through Stropping & the Same Applies to Factory Blades..:)

An SR is Not Designed as a Disposable Blade like Modern Blades..So the Comparison Ends there..But if You Throw in the Fact that Factory Blades are Just Designed for JUST a FEW Shaves then Someone with Poor Technique Will Cut their Lifetime Dramatically...Thats for Sure..;)

Just to Muddy the Water a Tad..Some Vintage Blades from the Late 60s/70s were Designed to Last a Lot Longer..In Fact that Era in the USA in Particular Produced the Pinnacle of DE & SE Injector Blades..:D

In Sum..The More Skill I Got with SR Shaving..A Freshly Honed SR Blade will Typically Last Me 18 Months at Least before Going Back to a Stone..So..Skill is Probably the Biggest Predictor of How Long a Blade is Gonna Last..Predetermined from the Factory or Not.:rolleyes:

That Said..There are Huge Exaggerations on Forums about Unusually High Number Shave Claims on a Blade...Claiming Skill..Thats Just Mostly Lies & Deceit or Down Right Delusional..:D:D

Billy

Last edited:
I had always heard that a SR will need to be resharpened anywhere between 3 & 6 mos. Of course, I don't know Jack Schitt about SR's. :oops:
I Hit Mine on Paste around Every 4/5 Shaves or So as Part of a Maintenance Routine..So its Just Part of Normal Stropping So To Speak..I Maintain them Sharp Rather than Let them Dull..I Dont Really View it as a Refresh Although Some Might..Just a Normal Part of Stropping is All..:)

Its Rare that I Need to Take One of My Blades Back to a Finishing Stone for a Refresh..I Have to Say Mind..There are Few Folks that Can Hone them Properly in the 1st Place..Trust Me..So a Lot of SRs are Gonna Need Constant Attention Cause of that More than Anything Else..:D:D

Billy

I use Astra Platinums a lot and 4 maybe five shaves at a push.

BTW what are Lodz Polsilvers? The mythical orignial ones. Never tried them: an Irish vendor had some new okd stock but at silly money.

Back
Top Bottom