Shaving Soap Lid, On or Off?

I swill the bowl round under the tap to remove foamy lather, invert it for a quick shake and put lid back on. Can't see how a few drops of water will have adverse effects.

I've heard of people putting a teaspoon of water in an MWF bowl to feed it, not sure what it does it anything but there you go.

Greetings

My personal findings are that most shaving soaps will soften over time if you put the lid back on immediately after use.
Some soaps are more prone to it than others and triple milled soaps are nearly immune from this problem; if indeed you see it as a problem.

I have also found that shaving sticks grated and reformed into a puck (or cake) are the most prone to it and that seems to make sense as I guess it is impossible to fully consolidate the shavings into a true solid mass and thus some water seeps into the puck.

I think a reasonable course of action is to leave the lid off for 24hrs after use. This is what I personally do though I admit I sometimes forget.

Regards
Dick.

I tend to rinse with cold water, leave upside-down overnight and replace the lid in the morning.

As I don't shave daily, I'd be uncomfortable leaving non-sterile water in a sealed unit for any length of time. I've always been taught that anaerobic microbes/bacteria/fungi are nastier than aerobic ones (generally speaking). Of course, I probably use the soaps enough for these to not actually grow to any great extent but it works fine for me as a peace of mind exercise.

I don't have a phobia about it or whatever – just don't like the idea of farming bacteria and fungi on my soaps and in my brushes and then rubbing them onto my face in huge numbers. So I leave the lid off my soap, don't put spare lather back on top, and I have two brushes in rotation (so they have chance to dry off).

Tend to shave in the shower. I rinse the excess foam from the top of the soap (normally arko in a plastic bowl) when I cold splash my face after, then leave upside down while I finish my shower and dry myself on the bath towel outside the shower.

Then when I'm sorted I'll dab with a towel and lid back on. I've had no problems.

With the Proraso soap I was using, I tended to leave the lid off all day, until I go to the bathroom before I go to bed to clean my teeth, and I then put the lid back on it.

With the Wickham soap I have just got I do the same, apart from I wipe my finger around the edges of the tub, to remove the excess lather.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom