Old Spice Gift Set (1960s?)

Just arrived today. Full bottle of aftershave and shave cream. Im guessing its 1960s but if someone could correct me that'd be great, the sale tag has the number 3379 and 9/9 which im assuming is 9 shillings and 9 pence.

Edit: Something i've just noticed looking at the bottom of the bottle is that it says "Early American Old Spice" embossed in the glass. Didnt know they used that on the aftershave bottles as Early American Old Spice was a womans perfume, Shulton's first product I believe.

J6Mk0aB.jpg

8tVix9E.jpg

FtdFbJG.jpg

HTG6v9W.jpg

yN2eh1J.jpg

fWFdvjV.jpg

ItUBoYR.jpg

New Vs Old
I6Hnx4Z.jpg

I have to say the aftershave smells a hell of a lot more like the stuff my grandfather used to use. I like the new aftershave you can get today but this old stuff has much more floral and spicy note that you dont get from the new one. There is a slight musky smell from it but im putting that down to the age. I'd be interested to get another bottle of the Shulton formula from later on to see how much the age affects the smell, maybe one of the last Shulton ones from the early 2000's.

Anyone got any advice in regards to the shaving cream? Its not gone hard which really surprised me but is it usable?

The cream is sort of light brown (im not sure what colour it was originally). Im not sure how to describe the smell but it has a slightly spicy,woody smell to it like an old bar of soap thats been left in a drawer for years.

I put a little on my hand earlier on and it still felt quite wet and did create a slight lather just by rubbing my hands together. There did seem to be a little separation in the cream but nothing drastic. Does anyone think it will still be usable or worth using at all? Im going to display it so even if it did work great id only use it once so I can keep the tube nice.
u8K1Owl.jpg

It's unlikely to be too dangerous and the original really was far nicer than the current stuff. I just finished my last puck of the real Old Spice.

Going to keep an eye out on ebay to see if any refill pucks pop up. I'd imagine a soap would hold up far better than a cream. The cream has a strong scent but not an Old Spice scent, to me its quite woody and musky. I think the age has changed it quite a bit. Im not even sure if it was brown to start off with!

I would say it date's from the early 40s judging from the colour and shape of the stopper, good find. You can go online and find the date for sure.
I have over half a bottle of the early stuff (grey tapered stopper) and a couple of early pucks in the mugs with the red lids , the pucks have lost most of their scent but the aftershave lotion is as good as it ever was. I still use them but only for hi days and holidays! :) P.

Under 'Bottles' the script would place yours from mid-1950s and under 'Bottle Stoppers' it would appear to be from 1956 to 1970. If the cream is matched as that, I think we have the answer. 1971 was, of course, the year of decimalisation and this has a pre-decimalisation price tag.

Great soap mate, classic still holds its own against today's best.
Expensive now, but it's 60 years old, worth £50 in my opinion to use classic vintage razors with "THE SOAP".
Watch it if you buy some, the pucks come in different weights, they can differ by about 30%

Back
Top Bottom