New qshave razor?

I like the looks of it and the price is reasonable.
I don't get the copy cat issues. Gillettes patents have expired a long time ago and they have decided not to produce adjustable TTO razors anymore. Fair game.
It's more than £20 and it's a DE and I've blown my annual budget, so I won't buy one, but if there is a pass around I'd join it to see if I could recommend it to newbies...

Think it looks large and cumbersome. A 'give it a miss' at this end.......despite having 50 decent blades with it

' You can put your or your beloved one's name on the open tops.'? Is this instead of a headstone?

Gillette had a history of long lasting, excellent made and refined DEs when the Adjustable popped up. The two chinese company are well renowed for being amongst the cheapest, both "taking inspiration" from celebrated models.
A futur clone can be found for roughly 6 euros on aliexpress.
I really doubt they will change their standards in manufacturing and refining and (most important) in quality control
I doubt the Future clone is anything but low quality, get one and you will be surprised what £4 gets you.

The tooling to do brass like Gillette did in the past are probably not in the west anymore so I'd say this razor has no comparison at present.

I doubt the Future clone is anything but low quality, get one and you will be surprised what £4 gets you
I own both, the qshave for travelling without thinking about it getting lost/broken. Quality of materials is low indeed as weight, strenght of the spring, details in the inner cap let well understand. Nevertheless is is a fair razor for the price. Not a futur, but a good razor for the money.
I won't throw 50 euros+ blindly to someone who has made a name only on low cost. Would you spend 30k £ on a new luxury Dacia? or would you fly Easyjet at 550£ for a 1 hr flight just because they swear they have increased seat size and free drinks?
I would not, as they both went all-in on the low cost to get market share (which is fine, I'm not telling they are wrong)

I believe they are really good at making stuff in China but still lacking in design even though companies like Yaqi with their nice looking brushes have proved me wrong :)

Very interesting, it'll be interesting to see the reviews.
I know brass is heavier and more expensive than stainless but nearly all my favourite razors are brass, so I look forward to reading how it performs.
Is the blade being torqued?

They're not very clear, and I may be missing something, but the brief videos on Kickstarter, which seem only to illustrate the fact that this is a butterfly-loading razor with a magnetic blade pick-up, don't seem to show any numbers on the adjusting collar. In other words, it looks a bit like a bog-standard TTO.

I'd be a bit more impressed if there was a clip of the razor's usp; namely, the adjustability.

I baled out of the Rockwell Model T, partly because of the endless delays, but mainly the change to (IMHO) lower grade metals. If this thing truly is all brass, with stainless spring and an iron magnet, then it surely steals a march on Rockwell. I see that someone commenting on the Qshave Kickstarter actually has the brass neck to ask, quote, "Hi, can you forward me a technical-comparison between your product and this product <rockwell-model-t-razor> please? Thank you."

I wonder if he got it?

They have also decided on a black-handled option for those whom don't appreciate the silver 'pillar-esque' handle;

aba55df034a41c36736d92d2a88a3ee3_original.jpg

Personally, I think the black looks considerably better and it is now testing my ability to withhold on 'pledging'.

If I would like to test all my razors, how would I go about comparing quality of material?

What is it that you're wanting to test? Ultimately the only meaningful test of the material a razor's made from is how well it holds up for prolonged use. On those grounds stainless steel is no better than brass, and you could argue that brass is the better material as it's extremely resistant to corrosion and easier to work with, lowering production costs.

What is it that you're wanting to test? Ultimately the only meaningful test of the material a razor's made from is how well it holds up for prolonged use. On those grounds stainless steel is no better than brass, and you could argue that brass is the better material as it's extremely resistant to corrosion and easier to work with, lowering production costs.
I'd add 'especially when lacquered/plated'. Brass itself tarnishes relatively quickly, though that patina is usually sturdy in itself i.e. protects the proceeding 'layer' of brass.

Back
Top Bottom