Razor - Merkur 37c Slant
blade - Gillette Silver Blue (4)
brush - Semogue 1305 boar
soap - Vitos Supercrema - tallow
post - witch hazel
a/s - Vitos tabacco
balm - none.

Result - lovely.

Quality - home alone - mimsy shave. The second Vitos soap I have tried - pretty much just as impressive as the first - it - I guess - is very much in the Cella ballpark - so - if you don't like the smell of almonds or marzipan - I would give it a wide berth if I was you. Difficult to explain how easy I find this soap to lather - point the pre-soaked 1305 at it - and it springs to life. In terms of performance to cost ratio - in my opinion - Vitos is up there with the best - for that matter - so is the brush I used - the 1305 is a classic for a reason - assuming you live long enough to break it in properly. Try them - see what you think - job done - two passes - bbs - enjoy your shaves one and all - cheers - I.

Da Vinci 293 22mm Silvertip
R41 V3 on EJ Chatsworth Handle
Polsilver Super Iridium
Nuàvia Nera
Myrsol Lemon AS
Omerta Putting Green EdT

Nuàvia Nera is the finest shaving soap I have tested so far. The scent is fresh-green and very unique and complex for a soap. You get easily a very fine pored and creamy lather whose slickness and cushion is the best I have ever seen. The resulting post shave skin is softer than soft, the AS becomes truly obsolete.
It's too bad, that PannaCrema doesn't offer refills of the Nuàvia soaps. The scents of the Nera and the Verde really impressed me.

Tuesday 19th March

RazoRock 400 Plissoft Noir
Tabac
Wilkinson Sword Classic TTO
Voskhod (1)
Lynx Dark Temptation Aftershave

The Wilkie TTO is so very mild that I had to work to get a close shave.
I honestly think one would have to be slinging it around their face to do any damage, it's that mild.

Date: 20 March 2019

Pre-shave:- Cold Water straight from the tap
Brush:- Omega 83 Boar 27/60mm knot
Soap/Cream:- Mitchell's Wool Fat
Razor/Blade:- Gillette Super Adjustable S2 1972 / Vintage NOS Gillette Stainless #6
Post-shave:- T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent mixed with Tea Tree, Lavender & Peppermint / Lucky Tiger Aftershave & Face Tonic
Fragrance:- Lagerfeld Classic

11 more days to go for the whole month of Mitchell's March Wool Fat shave

View attachment 42114

Sotd - this evening - Tuesday the 19th of March -

Razor - Merkur 37c Slant
blade - Gillette Silver Blue (4)
brush - Semogue 1305 boar
soap - Vitos Supercrema - tallow
post - witch hazel
a/s - Vitos tabacco
balm - none.

Result - lovely.

Quality - home alone - mimsy shave. The second Vitos soap I have tried - pretty much just as impressive as the first - it - I guess - is very much in the Cella ballpark - so - if you don't like the smell of almonds or marzipan - I would give it a wide berth if I was you. Difficult to explain how easy I find this soap to lather - point the pre-soaked 1305 at it - and it springs to life. In terms of performance to cost ratio - in my opinion - Vitos is up there with the best - for that matter - so is the brush I used - the 1305 is a classic for a reason - assuming you live long enough to break it in properly. Try them - see what you think - job done - two passes - bbs - enjoy your shaves one and all - cheers - I.
Vitos is, indeed, up there with the best, imo. Glad you like it, Iain. S.

Last night's shave...

Razorock Gamechanger 0.84 (on loan)
Gillette Silver Blue
Manchurian Finest Badger (on loan)
Barrister & Mann Fern Reverse
LuÌ’cido aftershave (gift)

Are you sitting down?

Last night's shave consisted of all new products, apart from the razor blade. All though it's strongly recommended (with good reason) not to use more than one new item at a time I had a great shave.

The Gamechanger and brush were both on loan from James @Acer89 , thank you mate.

I've wanted to try the RR Gamechanger for a while after reading the (mostly) positive reviews. James did include the 0.68 base plate as well but I decided to go with the 0.84 first.

I'd heard it shaved similar to the Paradigm Titanium II and being in the fortunate position to own one I can compare the two. I have to say there is some truth in the reports. It shaves very smoothly and like the Paradigm, it isn't the most efficient shaver but due to how comfortable it shaves you can go over trouble spots a couple of times without irritation. TBH I did need a number of passes on my neck to get a finish I was happy with but this was my first shave with it. Maybe a different blade might improve in this area. I also found, due to the low profile of the top cap, shaving under the nose was a breeze, in fact easier than the Paradigm.

Is it better than the Paradigm? No. Would I buy one? Yes.

The brush, also on loan from James came highly recommended but not much info on the origin of the knot. Like 99% of all badger knots I suppose. Did I rate it? Yes. Would I buy one? Yes I loved it.

I've tried B&M Reverse base before but found it extremely frustrating to use. It's the only soap I've felt like throwing against a wall. I wanted to give it another go on two counts. The reputation it has as a great soap base and the scent intrigued me.

The scent is supposed to be based on Houbigant FouÌ’gere Royale. I do own the EDP and I didn't think it was close. The performance of the soap was very good, slickness being it's best attribute. I did find it lacking on the protection front though.

The LuÌ’cido aftershave was a gift from the other James @Rohleder . Thanks mate I appreciate the gesture. I rated it too.

A big thank you to James and James. You are both stars!

Have a good day.

Cheers
Rob

Last night's shave...
View attachment 42118

Razorock Gamechanger 0.84 (on loan)
Gillette Silver Blue
Manchurian Finest Badger (on loan)
Barrister & Mann Fern Reverse
LuÌ’cido aftershave (gift)

Are you sitting down?

Last night's shave consisted of all new products, apart from the razor blade. All though it's strongly recommended (with good reason) not to use more than one new item at a time I had a great shave.

The Gamechanger and brush were both on loan from James @Acer89 , thank you mate.

I've wanted to try the RR Gamechanger for a while after reading the (mostly) positive reviews. James did include the 0.68 base plate as well but I decided to go with the 0.84 first.

I'd heard it shaved similar to the Paradigm Titanium II and being in the fortunate position to own one I can compare the two. I have to say there is some truth in the reports. It shaves very smoothly and like the Paradigm, it isn't the most efficient shaver but due to how comfortable it shaves you can go over trouble spots a couple of times without irritation. TBH I did need a number of passes on my neck to get a finish I was happy with but this was my first shave with it. Maybe a different blade might improve in this area. I also found, due to the low profile of the top cap, shaving under the nose was a breeze, in fact easier than the Paradigm.

Is it better than the Paradigm? No. Would I buy one? Yes.

The brush, also on loan from James came highly recommended but not much info on the origin of the knot. Like 99% of all badger knots I suppose. Did I rate it? Yes. Would I buy one? Yes I loved it.

I've tried B&M Reverse base before but found it extremely frustrating to use. It's the only soap I've felt like throwing against a wall. I wanted to give it another go on two counts. The reputation it has as a great soap base and the scent intrigued me.

The scent is supposed to be based on Houbigant FouÌ’gere Royale. I do own the EDP and I didn't think it was close. The performance of the soap was very good, slickness being it's best attribute. I did find it lacking on the protection front though.

The LuÌ’cido aftershave was a gift from the other James @Rohleder . Thanks mate I appreciate the gesture. I rated it too.

A big thank you to James and James. You are both stars!

Have a good day.

Cheers
Rob
A very interesting read.
Thanks for sharing Rob.

20 March

Tabula Rasa Steampunk
Semogue SOC two band
Feather Artist Club SS
Feather Proguard
Bart's Balm Amber and Moroccan Jasmine
Creed Royal Oud Millesime

An interesting shave this morning. Thinking I had a bit of time today I reached for the other Feather razor, and, after creating a great lather with the Steampunk soap and Semogue brush, I set to work with it. Perhaps, I was a bit overconfident this morning, because, during my first pass, I picked up two nicks, one under the nose and one on the chin. I decided that one pass would be plenty, reaching for the stypic pencil, as the blood started to run. However, feeling the rest of my face it was evident that one pass was all I needed. For the first time in an age I used an alum block to see how much damage I'd done, but to my surprise all was well everywhere else. I applied some Bart's Balm to sooth my injuries, which helped. How my clumsy efforts had resulted in such a damn good shave amazed me, though, even now, I can feel a gentle throbbing from my upper lip, just reminding me to be more cautious.

20/03/19
Cheeky Late morning Shave
3rd shave with Muhle Grande R89, although its the blades 3rd run out and I needed 2 passes - WTG then ATG.

How many shaves should I expect from this blade? My beard is not that strong and I could feel some slight tugging.
Nothing from Alum block though and nice smooth skin.
feeling refreshed and ready to go back to work later.

Pre: Hot shower and vigorous face wash
Brush: Vulfix "old traditional" Badger bristle
Soap: Body shop Macca Root
Blade: Astra Platinum (3)
Razor: Muhle R89 Grande
Post shave: Alum block and cold water splash
Balm: E45 moisturiser
Aftershave: CK One
One other thing, 1st time bowl lather instead of straight on chin. My lather did not seem as rich.42122

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom