A tale of three (budget) badgers: Stirling, Whipped Dog, T&H Rooney

I suppose I was lucky since when I started with classic shaving (or maybe got back to it after 15 years), the offer of synthetic shaving brushes was at its peak and provided a mature alternative to those of badger or boar. I started with the synthetics, the good ones too: Muhle, Ace shaving (Chinese Plissfot), Maggards and Satin Tip the Purest.
Plissoft's performance is unprecedented, and that opinion is probably shared by 90% of this forum, including me. However, a small (22mm) synthetic brush, the Satin Tip did not behave like the other synthetics: stiff, but not a uncomfortable, and better backbone - perfect for face lathering! Sounded like a badger brush to me.

And so, in my desire to take on face lathering I came up with the idea of finally trying the famous badger. I borrowed a Whipped Dog Pure Badger and it was a disaster! It was very scratchy and provided weak lather, definitely not for me!
Nevertheless, I did not give up, I checked numerous forums, tips and experiences in my search for some good but affordable finest or silvertip badger. Somehow I wanted to avoid spending 100 € for a Simpson Duke or perhaps a Shavemac as I was not sure yet whether this badger adventure was for me at all.

I decided on the Stirling 24mm Finest Fan badger, which received only positive reviews.
The first shave with Stirling Finest was something that needed getting used to, but soon it was clear to me why some people swear by a good badger and prefer it over synthetics.
True backbone, this is what most synthetics lack; one that isn't artificial, rubbery or springy... (there is one exception, that I will cover later). Basically, Stirling Finest provided me with excellent lather, as the knot almost adjusted to the contours of the face and held the lather as opposed to splaying it all over like synthetics. Another advantage was the fan shape as that it feelt much larger than it really is, a 24 mm Stirling feels like a 26 or 28 mm synthetic.

The second brush I had the honor to use is the good old Whipped Dog High Mountain .

This one is very popular due to it's good price/quality ratio. I dwelt between the High Mountain and Silvertip, but decided on HM because of the potential to develop the so-called "hooked or gel tips", a "defect" in production or so I am told, that many like because it provides a softer face feel.
Whipped dog HM is also very comfortable to use, solid backbone and the tips are very soft. I would also want to add that this Whipped dog's (high) handle is one of the most comfortable ones I ever used. If you are getting a new WD brush, definitely consider this handle type.

The last badger of the lot is the Truefitt and Hill Wellington in super.

This one is very interesting because I believe this model was manufactured by Rooney. The Rooney brushes are on the expensive side, but a more affordable option is (was) available branded as Truefitt and Hill. Current Truefitt and Hill brushes are made by Vulfix and I'm not sure if Rooneys can be found anymore. Identifying one required some time and research but this is by all means a Rooney badger as it's clearly a class above the others.
The quality of the handle is hard to describe to but is very apparent as is the balance and ergonomics of the brush, just perfect. The knot itself is very compact and also has hooked tips which seem even more evident than those on WP. Tips are very soft, even softer than the Whipped Dog, which is to be expected. Backbone is weaker, though but sufficient and this brush is more than capable of making some thick lather.
I imagine this to be is a very good entry into the higher class badgers.

All three of these brushes are pure joy to use and provide a good starting point and an alternative to synthetics. The irony is that only a few years ago, this sentence would sound just silly.
In the end, I think I prefer the Stirling because of it's backbone, yet really soft tips .
A short summary is provided below by your's truly, the Novice Badger Enthusiast.

Stirling 24 mm Finest
Shape: Fan
Backbone +++
Softness +

Whipped dog High Mountain
Shape: Bulb
Backbone ++
Softness ++

Truefitt and Hill Wellington
Shape: Hybrid Fan
Backbone +
Softness +++

Lovely, succinct review. Very easy to read and very visual - I like! :) Isn't it interesting how much brushes can differ despite coming from the same animal! Looking forward to reading more reviews from you, my good man!

It's interesting that you found the Srirling 24' with plenty of backbone. I agree, having said that, somebody over the ATG forum, found this brush with not enough backbone or not stiff enough.... I can't remember which one. It only goes to show that 'YMMV' is not nonsense :)
I think there was a problem with a few brushes but I only read two reports, mine doesn't have any problems. The brush does get softer with use but not to the same level of the Stirling 26' bulb brushes which incidentally are my favourites.

Nice review ;)

Lovely, succinct review. Very easy to read and very visual - I like! :) Isn't it interesting how much brushes can differ despite coming from the same animal! Looking forward to reading more reviews from you, my good man!
Thank you for kind words friend! I didn't plan on doing this as a review at first, more of an observation and maybe something that can help a novice curious about badgers. Was fun too! ;)

It's interesting that you found the Srirling 24' with plenty of backbone. I agree, having said that, somebody over the ATG forum, found this brush with not enough backbone or not stiff enough.... I can't remember which one. It only goes to show that 'YMMV' is not nonsense :)
I think there was a problem with a few brushes but I only read two reports, mine doesn't have any problems. The brush does get softer with use but not to the same level of the Stirling 26' bulb brushes which incidentally are my favourites.

Nice review ;)
Thanks! ;)
Well, I don't have much experiencee with badgers but for me there was plenty of "good" backbone with the Stirling, definitely more than the other two. I would agree it not being stiff though, but I'm not sure I would ever want that in a brush. I heard about some problems too, just as mine was arriving, but aside from a few hairs lost, everything seems fine. Still stinks a bit though :(. How about yours?

A great review, I have the Stirling and for the price point it is a brush that you could easily think cost twice as much. Mine is very soft and a Top 3 brush in my collection. At the start of the year I was anti-badger but since I received the Stirling I have done a complete 180 and love my three badgers, especially in a fan knot.

If anyone is on the fence get a Stirling and you won't regret it, I am curious to try a Maseto finest to see how it compares to the Stirling. Certainly two very highly regarded inexpensive badgers. Punch well above their weight and put many a more expensive brush to shame.

Thank you for kind words friend! I didn't plan on doing this as a review at first, more of an observation and maybe something that can help a novice curious about badgers. Was fun too! ;)

Thanks! ;)
Well, I don't have much experiencee with badgers but for me there was plenty of "good" backbone with the Stirling, definitely more than the other two. I would agree it not being stiff though, but I'm not sure I would ever want that in a brush. I heard about some problems too, just as mine was arriving, but aside from a few hairs lost, everything seems fine. Still stinks a bit though :(. How about yours?

Absolutely, I think he felt the brush splayed too much but that might be because of the fan knot.

I also have the other two Stirling 26mm bulb which I love as much as my 26mm bulb Shavemac, in fact the Shavemac doesn't get much use at all now. On the other hand, this 24mm fan, although an excellent brush, is not a favourite if I'm honest, my 26mm Shavemac fan knot is my favourite now but it took quite a while to soften up.

Not funky smell left on mine and it's considerably softer now.

I have two Whipped Dog brushes and I LOVE IT and Larry is a great guy
E8Wusk7.jpg

Back
Top Bottom