This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A Typical Barbershop Scent??

Discussion in 'After Shave / Cologne' started by culcreuch, Friday March 23, 2018.

1. culcreuch

culcreuch

I want to buy a typical Barbershop Scent. I am thinking of Pinaud Clubman.....but before ordering ....I would value some other opinions. Any Suggestions?

2. TomG

TomG

Pinaud Clubman is a good choice. Other Barbershop favourites of mine are:
    • Pitralon Classic
    • Fine American Blend
    • Alt Innsbruck
    • PAA CAD
    • Myrsol Blue
    and how could I forget..... Floid Mentally Vigorous!

3. I would echo what @TomG said re Myrsol Blue, it's one I use myself and has the classic barber shop scent, good stuf and a good price too. :) P
    Anything for the weekend sir! :) P..

Last edited: Saturday March 24, 2018
  4. Benz3ne

Benz3ne

Fine American Blend is based on a Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche so if you want the same smell but a bit longer lasting there’s always the original. :) very fresh stuff!

5. I've always thought ADP Colonia Club has that old fashioned barber shop scent and the other I reach for is
    Agua de Colonia Concentrada Barberia.

Two of my top EDP's in the cupboard

6. TomG

TomG

I get your logic on that, @Benz3ne, but as far as I am aware, YSL discontinued Rive Gauche Pour Homme some time ago. I've been trying to find some NOS for quite a while - the only examples I have found to date were asking silly money. If anyone finds some at a fair price, I am all ears!

7. Boru62

Boru62

You know I'm going to my flavour of the month: PASHANA but Proraso Red, Pitralon Original and Lea Classic are very nice.
    I've been trying to place Pashana and as it's made in N.I. it's probably from the barbers as a kid.
    @Benz3ne
    @TomG
    I haven't tried this clone but I've tried some of their others with good results.
    As you can seen it split opinion on the two reviews, but it's cheap enough to take a risk.

Benz3ne, Blademonkey and TomG like this.
  8. Benz3ne

Benz3ne

They have re-released it without the Star Anise so it’s more geranium centric but still quite nice. :)

Blademonkey and culcreuch like this.
  9. culcreuch

culcreuch

Is it actually made in NI? It was an old established brand over here for years and then Denman Brushes from Newtownards bought them up a few years ago.

Boru62 and Blademonkey like this.
  10. windows95

windows95

11. Boru62

Boru62

Oh, I don't know then, I've been trying to work out why it was so familiar on first smell.

culcreuch likes this.
  12. TomG

TomG

Ahh - this is good news! Can you advise where it may be available?

Benz3ne likes this.
  13. Benz3ne

Benz3ne

Here! :)

14. TomG

TomG

Thank you, kind sir!

Benz3ne likes this.
  15. Benz3ne

Benz3ne

Welcome as always Mr. N. Tesla. :D

TomG likes this.
  16. TomG

TomG

Touché C6H6

Benz3ne likes this.
  17. Sezer1974

Sezer1974

BarberShop scent is a very broad scent description and in my opinion it differs from place to place. For example; a 'barbershop scent' lotion/aftershave will be different in America then Italy or Spain.
    My suggestion would be; American Aqua Velva and Skinbracer, Pinaud Clubman(I've heard and read that it was widely used by barbers in America, not that I been to America and saw it personally but it is a nice and a classic scent and inexpensive), Lucky Tiger Aspen, Lustray Blue Spice, Myrsol Blue.

Useless shaver likes this.
  18. culcreuch

culcreuch

Thanks for that. I think I am now beginning to realise just how broad the description is! The only soap I have which has a designated 'Barbershop' scent is OSP.....and the easy way out would be to buy the matching fragrance.
    I frequently use my own mix of shea, cocoa and coconut as an after shave moisturiser. This takes a little time for absorption into the skin so I usually apply an AS which speeds things up. By this description....I could probably use rubbing alcohol but I would prefer something with a nice short lived scent while I decide what EDT to apply. At the moment Clubman and Myrsol Blue are the favourites from those discussed.

Sezer1974 likes this.
  19. pimple8

pimple8

I thought every ''barbershop'' is the same or at least close.
    It's not.
    I have Fine American Blend, Clubman Pinaud, Mickey Lee The Kraken. They are totally different scents. Not even close.

20. Sezer1974

Sezer1974

OSP does great soaps and I also have the OSP barbershop soap, it lathers fantastic and good quality however I don't think it is a barbershop scent. I grew up in a different country and from my memory I recall more hairspray type of scent then aftershave scent but that is my opinion.
    Myrsol Blue is great but scent doesn't last long at all, half an hour on my skin but it may be different on other people, I suggest that you try the American Aqua Velva and Skinbracer which can be purchased from e-bay and the seller is Bluemedical, I bought mine from them and had a good service.

culcreuch likes this.