This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Above The Tie Copper Razors.

Discussion in 'DE Razors' started by Jel999, Tuesday September 26, 2017.

1. Jel999

Jel999

Just when you thought it was safe to go into the water, ATT are bringing out nice new razors.
    The Windsor range will include a fancy copper DE razor.

ATT Windsor..jpg

Blademonkey and Benz3ne like this.
  2. I'm so pleased it's not the SE made out of copper with a more aggressive base plate because that would be another razor I would have to buy, there is something about copper and brass that I find very appealing . :)

Benz3ne likes this.
  3. pjgh

pjgh

Oh, indeed. Bare brass and/or copper makes for a lovely shave.

Blademonkey likes this.
  4. Copper tarnishes like hell. Is it coated ?

5. nick_s

nick_s Moderator Staff Member

I'd hope so, as it is a very sensitive metal, and would easily corrode with the nature of soaps.

Bazwalk2 likes this.
  6. Nisse

Nisse

Green? Or will it turn dark brown?

7. nick_s

nick_s Moderator Staff Member

It'd start dulling to a darker brown, the green verdigris comes much later as the corrosion intensifies. It's the reason the Statue of Liberty is now green, it'd originally have been bright copper, then dark brown, eventually going green as we know it today.

Nisse likes this.
  8. Electrif

Electrif

9. Batch300

Batch300

As stated very clearly above, copper and brass are highly reactive metals and will patina (change in color/appearance).

I have a Charcoal Goods copper razor in antique finish (forced patina). I (actually friend) applied a clear coat and I applied
    Renaissance Wax (and will re-apply quarterly). In theory, should be very little color change and no change in the blade gap. I did the same on my Charcoal Goods brass razor.

Copper weights more than stainless and brass which could be an asset is some razor designs. I am guessing there are methods to clean copper (brass or chrome or ? polish). In US currency, the "1 cent penny" is made from copper - I have seen many brown pennies, however, never seen a green penny.

10. Go to the bank and get a roll of pennies in a paper roll. Take it to your backyard and get it wet for about 5 - 7 days straight, not soaking, just damp. It will have some green ones in a few days. I used a Gillette short comb that is stripped of it's gold this morning and it already has water spots on it. They go away when I polish it though. This razor must have a coating on it.

11. wingman

wingman

Coated with a good quality lacquer, quoted to last. HOW long I wonder? Will let you know how it goes.

mintgrön likes this.
  12. wingman

wingman

I believe it's not pure copper that would cause problems but it is made from high grade, highly polished Tellurium Copper.
    Just got to throw in the science bit to get the punters going, but who cares as long as it does the job...and it does.

13. wingman

wingman

Tellurium is often used to improve the machinability of copper and stainless steel. It’s used to make blasting caps, added to cast iron and used in ceramics. Adding tellurium to lead improves the strength and hardness of the metal and decreases corrosion. Many thermoelectric devices are made with bismuth telluride. Lead telluride is used in far-infrared detectors.
    I just save with it !!!!!