After a new brush badger vs Synthetic

Yep! One's plastic, t'other is organic. One sheds, other doesn't. One dries quickly, other doesn't. VERY PERSONAL, one can be softer than the other. One needs a cleaning regime, the other doesn't just a good rinse. No doubt there are other points but it's too early in the morning for me.

I was a badger affection-ado, but now I only own and use plastic. finally it really comes down to what YOU like. Example, mate of mine will only use boar, what ever floats your boat as they say.

Final point is if you buy at the premium end of the scale, one can be a lot less expensive than the other.

Good luck with your choice.

The only advantages of synthetic over badger are drying time and price. In terms of face feel and overall performance I much prefer a quality badger. I have yet to find a synthetic that I can face lather with using anything but painting strokes. A synthetic's poor ability to splay when face lathering is major drawback. But, as Tam says, “whatever floats your boat”.

I am after a new shaving brush and I have been looking at Synth ones, are there any pros/cons over one compared to a badger best brush?

What kind of budget do have? Do you plan to use the new brush to mainly face or bowl lather? Are you looking for a brush with a lot of backbone or one which is on the floppier side of things?

I a
What kind of budget do have? Do you plan to use the new brush to mainly face or bowl lather? Are you looking for a brush with a lot of backbone or one which is on the floppier side of things?
Im looking to mainly face lather and my budget is up to £200, with regards to backbone I am unsure what you mean but I usually use cream or croaps and prefer a soft feel to my face but may benefit from a slightly more stiffer brush for my thick coarse beard.

My favourite brush in that price range is the Saponificio Varesino 2.0 there are many materials to choose from and the pewter crown you can choose from golden or natural pewter. Check out shave lounge Anthony will order you one in if they don't have the handle you want in stock and you get 10% discount too for being a member on here. It will come in well under budget for you and you won't get a better price elsewhere !

I am after a new shaving brush and I have been looking at Synth ones, are there any pros/cons over one compared to a badger best brush?

A silly question but have you tried a synthetic or badger brush before?

In your shoes I would probably buy a synthetic brush first before going all out on a badger brush. You might love them and you haven't dropped some serious coin on a badger brush.

I started out with a RazoRock synthetic and didn't like it at all. No backbone and I struggled to create a lather. This was my first time using any brush to create a lather so there could be other factors to take into account.

I have contemplating buying another synthetic lately. I like the look of the Edwin Jagged's. From what I've seen on YouTube they appear to have some decent backbone.

As for a badger brush. I'd recommend two brands.
The Maseto priced between £30-50 depending on which type you go for.

The other is the Saponificio Varesino brushes circa £170.00.
I've tried and own a number of brands including shavemac, Simpsons (Manchurian) and Thater. The SV brush is (IMHO) superior....well my favourite anyway.

Brushes are very subjective and everyone is looking for something different.

Good luck.
Cheers
Rob

Last edited:
A silly question but have you tried a synthetic or badgerl brush before?

In your shoes I would probably buy a synthetic brush first before going all out on a badger brush. You might love them and you haven't dropped some serious coin on a badger brush.

I started out with a RazoRock synthetic and didn't like it at all. No backbone and I struggled to create a lather. This was my first time using any brush to create a lather so there could be other factors to take into account.

I have contemplating buying another synthetic lately. I like the look of the Edwin Jagged's. From what I've seen on YouTube they appear to have some decent backbone.

As for a badger brush. I'd recommend two brands.
The Maseto priced between £30-50 depending on which type you go for.

The other is the Saponificio Varesino brushes circa £170.00.
I've tried and own a number of brands including shavemac, Simpsons (Manchurian) and Thater. The SV brush is (IMHO) superior....well my favourite anyway.

Brushes are very subjective and everyone is looking for something different.

Good luck.
Cheers
Rob
I have a simpsons Colonel badger brush and a badger/boar mix brush but I have never tried a synthetic, my budget is up to £200, I don't have to spend the full amount.

I'd have to agree with what @Blackmass has said here, I've only got the one synthetic and absolutely love it the wolf whiskers 25mm black wolf fan, I use it as a daily driver as doesn't need any soaking is great at face lathering is soft, splays well and is quick to dry but I do love my badgers and get a lot of enjoyment when I do use them !

I have a few very good quality badger brushes but over the last 3 months I've been using mostly synthetics. I prefer soft brushes and I don't need too much backbone.
One difference between synthetic and badger that I find, I'm sure some people will disagree, I need a lot less product (soap / cream) with a synthetic (face lather).... I also find that boar brushes need more soap than badger brush, for example a 10 seconds load of any PAA soap with a synthetic brush would give me more than enough lather for 3 passes and a clean up pass. 15 seconds for a badger brush and maybe 30 seconds with a boar brush.
Like with badger brushes, not all synthetics are created equal ;)

I have a few very good quality badger brushes but over the last 3 months I've been using mostly synthetics. I prefer soft brushes and I don't need too much backbone.
One difference between synthetic and badger that I find, I'm sure some people will disagree, I need a lot less product (soap / cream) with a synthetic (face lather).... I also find that boar brushes need more soap than badger brush, for example a 10 seconds load of any PAA soap with a synthetic brush would give me more than enough lather for 3 passes and a clean up pass. 15 seconds for a badger brush and maybe 30 seconds with a boar brush.
Like with badger brushes, not all synthetics are created equal ;)
I agree with using less soap with a synthetic !!

I'm no expert on synthetics so I'm sure someone else can recommend you one.
I'd tried a synthetic first as it's the safer/cheaper option at this stage.

Best two synthetics on the market imho are either a Tuxedo (various makers) or the Muhle / Edwin Jagger. I would go for a 24/25mm but again this is subjective

Back
Top Bottom