This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Alvarez Gomez Barberia

Discussion in 'Shaving Creams' started by Burry, Sunday November 12, 2017.

1. Burry

Burry

Hi all. Just wanted to flag up this cream - I just got a sample, had a few shaves from it, and I think it's wonderful stuff. It took far more water than I was expecting, so it benefits from a bit of time taken over making the lather, but it was rich and dense and protective. Lovely citrusy, hint of spice scent. Not many comments about this one that I can find online, but I think I'm going to put this on the Christmas list. Not cheap, but you do get a 200ml tub.

2. I couldn’t agree more Burry. It’s sumptuous stuff. I have to thank @Digimonkey for introducing me to it. The EDC is very good too.

Digimonkey, Blademonkey and Burry like this.
  3. Digimonkey

Digimonkey

I'd second @Burry and @Barry Giddens comments. I've never really understood why this cream isn't better known. I don't know anyone who has tried it that hasn't loved it. It performs as well as any cream or soap I have used. I suppose if you don't like citrusy scents it might not be for you - the manufacturer describes it as - 'citrus top notes of bergamot, lemon, bitter orange and ginger resting on a base of woody notes of cedar and sandalwood, tinged with white musk.' Sounds about right to me - it's complex and 'sophisticated' - there's quite a lot going on. It's concentrated - a little goes a long way - it takes a surprising amount of water to reach optimum. I was interested by Barry's experience of using it with very hard London water - it coped just fine. The Barberia can look different between batches - some are almost gray and a bit gloopy - others are whiter and more solid. They work just the same in my experience. It is certainly not the cheapest but - as said - you get a big tub that will last a long time given how concentrated it is. I buy mine in Spain where unsurprisingly it's cheaper but it is still - in my opinion - well worth the price from UK suppliers - ES and Gemstone Trading sell it - for a shade under £20. I'm sure there are other stockists too. When the tubs are empty you can re-use them with refill hard soaps. I'm a big fan of the matching Barberia balm/moisturiser - again not cheap - but it works really well for me. Cheers - I.

@Blademonkey @Wayne Pritchard

4. Worth every penny imo, Thank you for the sample . :) P.

5. Nice write up and thanks for raising awareness.
    What aftershave splash would you recommend after? I am not a fan of balms or moisturisers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. I personally find the OSP Lemon and Cedarwood Aftershave a good match Irish.

7. Thank you kindly I’ll look it up.

Barry Giddens likes this.
  8. You’re welcome.

9. Burry

Burry

I only have Speick and proraso green splash's, and whilst I love them, they aren't matching or complimentary to the Alvarez Gomez Barberia. But I do match it with the Bronnley original eau de toilette - I have found that combination to work very nicely.

Barry Giddens likes this.
  10. Burry

Burry

Yes, I'm in south London and also have annoyingly hard water - but it performed beautifully in spite of that

11. +1. Really is superb stuff and worth every penny. :)

12. Digimonkey

Digimonkey

Interesting B. - I've never tried them together - as I have both products - I'll give it a go - cheers - I.

13. Boru62

Boru62

I haven't tried it but their other products are very good, so just ordered some from here
    If that's all you buy it's £19.93 posted

14. Boru62

Boru62

Cheers Barry, I already have the cologne, shower gel and roll on, so I think I will.
    £10 per 100ml isn't expensive either.

15. And it’s very concentrated Kevin. Even with our hard water you only have to use a little.

16. Boru62

Boru62

Can't wait to give it a go, after all the good things I've been reading.

17. Digimonkey

Digimonkey

Evening K. - as you may have gathered I'm a bit of an evangelist for this shaving cream - I was interested by the products you mentioned that you already own by Alvarez Y Gomez. They do two different lines - if it has a yellow label - then it is Agua de Colonia Concentrada - a lighter, much more ephemeral scent than the Agua de Colonia Barberia products - which all carry brown labels. They are in the same ball park - but - in my experience - the former lacks the woody, musky notes present in the latter and also it's longevity. I always realise when in a Spanish restaurant and go to use the bathroom - if there is a huge bottle of the Concentrada cologne free to use after you have washed your hands - shit - this is going to be pricey. How much is that bottle of Priorat or Duero wine I have just ordered going to cost? I hope you like using it. Ha ha. Yours - I.

@William Dobson

18. Great stuff: use both, their wonderful shaving cream and their Agua de Colonia Concentrate Barberia EdC, which was gifted to me by Gifts & Care. Interestingly enough Puig, the Barcelona perfume giant that owns Alvarez y Gomez, also owns Penhaligon's. Who knows, maybe someday we will be seeing Agua de Endymion reviews in Basenotes.

You must eat in better Spanish restaurants than I do. Running water is considered a luxury in most of the banos I hit and paper towels are out of the question.

Last edited: Tuesday November 14, 2017