Am I Missing Something?

During my time rediscovering wet shaving, I've indulged myself with various "pricey" soaps and creams: Xpec, AdP, MdC, Abatte y Lamantia, and others. While each of these are good, I would have to say that they are no better than much cheaper competitors.

MdC, and Abatte y Lamantia are no better, and in my opinion, not as good as Hasliinger (any flavour), and Xpec and AdP fall far short of any TOBS cream.

Am I missing something here, or is it another case of YMMV? Has anyone else fallen for the hype of a particular soap or cream?

You're quite right Steve. It's very much a question of YMMV.

I actually like MdC. But I also like La Toja, which sells at a fraction of the price. And if I had to make a choice of one or the other, I have to say I'd go for the La Toja.

Small productions, artisan soaps should cost more to produce by default. Economics of scale.
Also, natural oils, essential oils etc cost more comparing to some synthetic and cheaper components used in some mass produced soaps. (cheaper components don't necessarily mean they are worse performance wise)
So in the start, an artisan should cost more and therefore has a higher end price.
There is also the demand/hype that is keeping those prices up. All that doesn't mean cheaper produtcs like Tabac, La Toja or whatever is worse in quality, the market is apparently big enough for both of them, the cheap and the expensive stuff.

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk

Small productions, artisan soaps should cost more to produce by default. Economics of scale.
Also, natural oils, essential oils etc cost more comparing to some synthetic and cheaper components used in some mass produced soaps. (cheaper components don't necessarily mean they are worse performance wise)
So in the start, an artisan should cost more and therefore has a higher end price.
There is also the demand/hype that is keeping those prices up. All that doesn't mean cheaper produtcs like Tabac, La Toja or whatever is worse in quality, the market is apparently big enough for both of them, the cheap and the expensive stuff.

Well said that man! :) P.

Tabac has no competition.

Tabac has no competition.
...I agree with you that Tabac is a great soap; I also find Palmolive and Arko superb, both of which make Tabac seem pricey. I enjoy the Artisan soaps, mostly for the scents, but I have not replaced any of them, whereas I have enougth of the European blue collar soaps to see me out...the frugal part of me likes that 200g of Palmolive or Arko cost no more than a couple of quid and for me perform as well. I will even say that the scent of Arko is not much different to Arlington for me...

I refuse to pay over £20 for a soap, Razorock is a real winner here, for price & performance. Other favourites are P&B, PAA & Wickhams.
Unfortunately, to get my hands on PAA, other than the 5 or so tubs available in rip off uk, I get stung on postage, so you could argue I am paying more anyway.

Those with soap aquisition disorder are doomed.

Back
Top Bottom