Annoying Yahoo message

Recently I've been getting the message below every day. I've deleted the IP address, but it is my home IP which is a static IP. Should I be worried? And how can I stop these messages. Thanks for any insights you can give.

Hi Sharon,
sp.gif

Your account is currently not enabled for sign-in from apps that do not meet modern security standards (e.g. older versions of email and calendar apps such as Outlook). As a result, we prevented a sign-in to your Yahoo account (nannyssillysoap).
sp.gif

Date and time: Tue, 22 Nov 2016 13:58 GMT
sp.gif

We strongly recommend that you switch to Yahoo's apps, such as Yahoo Mail, on desktop and mobile and remove your account from all other less secure apps.
sp.gif

If you still want to use an app that has a less secure sign-in method, go to https://login.yahoo.com/account/security#other-appsand turn on ‘Allow apps that use less secure sign-in'. This is not recommended and can leave your account more vulnerable to compromise. To learn more, please visit our Help page: https://help.yahoo.com/kb/account/SLN27791.html
sp.gif

Yahoo blocked this sign-in attempt, but if it looks suspicious to you or if it's not from an application that you're using, go to https://login.yahoo.com/account/change-passwordand change the password for your account.
sp.gif

You are receiving this notification because nannyssillysoap@yahoo.co.uk is listed as a recovery email address for nannyssillysoap.
sp.gif

Regards,
Yahoo
sp.gif

I take it you are using an email client such as 'Outlook' or perhaps an app on your mobile phone to access your Yahoo email account? If so, and in view of the IP address being your own, I wouldn't worry. You could look for more up to date versions of the apps in question or you could allow plain text signon as is suggested. I would suggest allowing less secure sign on and making a habit of regular password changes.

Edit. I should add that if you only use a web browser to access your email then you should update it to the latest version.

Thanks @globalm, as long as I don't have to worry that some stranger is trying to access my email, that's fine. I might try uninstalling and then reinstalling yahoo email on my phone, and updating chrome which is what I use on the computer.

Hi Sharon

Chrome might be out of date which could cause the issue. If Yahoo mail app were the issue I would expect you to see other IP addresses if you check mail while on the move. Feel free to drop me a pm if you are concerned or have any additional info. I do this kind of stuff all day anyway!
:)

Thanks Paul; Googled how to update Chrome, and as far as I can work out, I'm on the latest version. I'm going to try not taking my phone with me when I go out for a couple of days and see what happens.

Thanks Paul; Googled how to update Chrome, and as far as I can work out, I'm on the latest version. I'm going to try not taking my phone with me when I go out for a couple of days and see what happens.
Hi Sharon

If the IP address given in the message is your home/office static IP, which I think you said is the case, then the issue is arising from your home network and not when you are out and about. If you want, you could capture the message screen and PM it to me, removing IP address first, and I'll look to see if I can extract any extra information from it. Also check to make sure your email account isn't set up in more than one phone app.

Back
Top Bottom