Any AV nuts out there? :D

I was just wondering how many avphiles we have out there?
I've been into AV for a while and have slowly progressed from a Denon HTIB and 32" LCD, to what I have now, a Sammy UE48HU7500, Onkyo TX-NR818 AV reciever, Pioneer BDP-LX55 Blu-Ray player, Amazon Fire TV and $ky HD, of course :rolleyes: all feeding my Monitor Audio MR4 5.1 (MR 4 fronts, MR Centre, MR1 rears and MRW-10 sub :cool: )

Would love to hear about other people's setups :)

Analogue or digital?

Not too dissimilar AV to yours, Onkyo nr1010, Monitor Audio Bx2 (5.2), Panasonic plasy zt60 +inputs.

Last edited:
Pioneer SC LX-56, Bose Acoustimass 15. Virgin HD, Apple TV, Apple Mac Mini, PS3

I used to use B&W surrounds and sub but the Mrs insisted on a 'minimilist' look, so out went quality in came little and mediocre!

Pioneer SC LX-56, Bose Acoustimass 15. Virgin HD, Apple TV, Apple Mac Mini, PS3

I used to use B&W surrounds and sub but the Mrs insisted on a 'minimilist' look, so out went quality in came little and mediocre!
Divorce the wife and get some non-proprietrary speakers, bud ;) You'll thank me for it! lol

Analogue or digital?

Not too dissimilar AV to yours, Onkyo nr1010, Monitor Audio Bx2 (5.2), Panasonic plasy zt60 +inputs.
Sweet setup :) I'm thinking of sidegrading the 818 either this year, or next, but I'm still recovering from open wallet surgery, after getting the MR4 AV, although I virtually stole them @ £599 delivered :D :D

@antdad - How do you find the MA/Onkyo combo?
Before I purchased the MR4s, I was running a set of Wharfedale DX-1's (don't ask! :rolleyes: ), which were okayish, but the MA's sound a little harsher, or "brighter" to my ear, at least.
I'm thinking, as I said before, to sidegrade the Onkyo for another AVR in the next year, possibly sooner and am eyeing the current Denons, as they tend to produce a slightly "warmer" sound, which should compliment the MA's.

I thought I recognised your username from another forum I frequent - www.avforums.com/forums :)

Marhalls, I take it? :D Can't beat VA's for audio purists :)
I've had Marshalls over the years, my favourite being a TSL100H, running 4xEL34's in the power stage, and 4xECC83 in the preamp stage. Currently running a Blackstar Series One 45 (2x12) combo, using just 2xEL34 in the power stage with a single ECC82 and three ECC83's in the preamp stage.

I love natural organic sound you get with valves, you just don't get it with SS amps, that natural sag, the decline of a signal into harmonics that SS just can't reproduce.

@Rottie

As the amp has broken in I've warmed to it , the sound is certainly detailed some may say "bright" but when I listen (to digital music only)it's just through the bi-amped fronts via the Pure Audio setting. Don't ask if bi-amping made that much difference cos I couldn't tell you, I had the cable and like the result. I had a Denon AVRX 4000 before that and didn't honestly care for it, warm yes but just lacked power and finesse which is something you definitely cannot say about this particular Onkyo. It also had probably the best video processing engines available at the time plus great zone 2 and 3 facility.

I'm not really an AV forum frequenter (far too dangerous) as you can tell from that forum I only made one post ever and that was in '09. :)

Last edited:
I'm considering bi-wiring the MR4s. Currently all speakers are just straight wired into the AVR and will probably need to be recalibrated (again! :rolleyes: ), 'cos the OH just informed me she "accidentally moved" one of the fronts, when she was being slap happy with the microfibre duster. :rolleyes:
I've heard good things about the current Denons, especially the AVRX4200W, which on paper at least, seems like a very capable piece of kit and certainly ticks a few boxes, but there's always that niggling doubt about whether it'll be able match the "grunt" of my 818.

There's bi-wiring and bi-amping just have a play, you can bi-wire and muck about with the differential or you can bi-amp yours through Zone 3 front(s) connection I think. As your fronts are floor standers with a bass and mid I'm sure you will find some benefit.

The Onkyo manuals are terrible, it's as if they were translated directly from Japanese, US Onkyo forum rather than European is better.

Last edited:
Nothing compared to you guys but...
Sony BDP-S370
Sony STR-DA2400ES
Q Acoustics S2020 Fronts (Bi-Amp'd), S2010 rears, S2000 Centre & an old MS Sub.
LG Plasma
Home built HTPC
It does me :D

Nothing compared to you guys but...
Sony BDP-S370
Sony STR-DA2400ES
Q Acoustics S2020 Fronts (Bi-Amp'd), S2010 rears, S2000 Centre & an old MS Sub.
LG Plasma
Home built HTPC
It does me :D
Hey don't do yourself down, bud that's a pretty decent setup. :)
As long as you're happy with what you've got, that's all that matters at the end of the day. :)

Back
Top Bottom