Any love for Treet Black Beauties here? (Carbon)

I have been using some of these recently and I find them a lot better than the Platinums from Treet. Maybe it is because it is generally accepted that carbon steel takes and holds an edge better. I find I can get several decent shaves from them if I spray them with alcohol afterwards.

Does anyone else like them? They are very cheap at about £1.50 for 10.

I have a pack from a sampler selection,
I'll try them next.

The plats I tried were (imo)very sharp, not the smoothest. Not bad, but, there are better for me.

I have been using some of these recently and I find them a lot better than the Platinums from Treet. Maybe it is because it is generally accepted that carbon steel takes and holds an edge better. I find I can get several decent shaves from them if I spray them with alcohol afterwards.

Does anyone else like them? They are very cheap at about £1.50 for 10.
Tell me more about the Black Beauties. I use the Treet Dura Sharp carbon and think they are excellent blades. High quality hand tools use carbon steel in plane blades and chisels because of its ability to produce a very sharp edge. It would seem to that this would hold true with razor blades also.

Greetings

I like Black Beauties, I find them reasonably sharp, certainly not as sharp as many stainless coated blades but what I do find is that they are ultra face friendly and a forgiving blade, I have used very many of them and find they do very well in more aggressive razors and do not perform too good at all in really mild razors. I only use them once and bin them which for me is not an issue as I shave only infrequently with DE razors and as stated they are cheap anyway.

Treet Durasharp blades are a different animal altogether and very unusual in that they are carbon and PTFE coated all over including the cutting edge, whereas Treet Black Beauties just have the black 'coating' on the blade only not the cutting edge, I find the Durasharps a little sharper and they last longer I use them twice although I am sure some people could get more good shaves from them.

I think many people hate the Black Beauties because they give a very different face feel, the terms tug and drag are too extreme but they do feel more like (but to a lesser extent) a shave with a wedge blade or a straight razor or an old carbon SE blade designed to be stropped.

Regards
Dick.

Thanks, Dick, for your very informative reply. I'll see if I can chase some down, although don't think Gifts and Care carries the black ones now.

After trying a lot of DE options, my go-to blades these days seem to be the carbon Treets, Derby and Gillette 7 o'Clock SharpEdge. Thanks once again for your help.

Dick has said it all. Interesting about the more aggressive, efficient razors. I will try one in my 37C. Not tried the Permasharps yet but would be interested to do so now. Yes I think the Blacks give a more old fashioned feel as there is no high tech coating.

ADDENDUM

Well loaded a once used Black into the 37c and had a shave using Prorasso Green with a hot flannel prep then Prorasso Green soap. I got an ultra smooth and close shave and yes the blade did perform better than in the plastic Dorco even with the latter unwound a bit loose to give a bigger gap. I'll try it for one more shave and see how it stacks up. I will be interested to try the teflon coated Carbons now.

Last edited:
Black Beauties are probably my favorite blade. Plenty cheap and more than sharp enough. Very smooth and lots of sound feedback! For me they work well in just about all of my razors, but I only use the blade once once and toss. Could go a couple more times but I like their initial sharpness and using a new blade each shave. At my cost 8 cents per shave.

I am actually enjoying them too as I said. They are a nice combination in my slant. I wonder what the teflon coated ones are like? Probably not as inmediately sharp on first shave.

Back
Top Bottom