Anyone imported a Timless from the US recently? What did it cost?

Hi Chaps

Has anyone in the UK bought a Timeless razor from the US recently? Did you get stung on customs?

What did it work out to (cost) in the end?

I keep on eyeing them up...I can't afford one, but if I know I can get one for an OK price I might sell up some of my kit and save up too.

Second hand ones in the UK seem to be a bit pricey!

All the best

GW

Re the tax - looked about too and see that the Shaving shop online is selling them. Run by Peter charkalis
I know he is tax friendly to us uk customers when it comes to postage. If tax is putting you off it might be an option getting in touch with Peter ??
Maybe send him an email

Haven't ordered a Timeless but I have ordered many things from the US shaving and non shaving related, it's maximum 20% maybe slightly less its between 17% and 20% anyway and there is a handling fee on top of that which varies depending on who it comes through least is £8 through Royal Mail...think Fed Ex is £12 there is another one that charges £15 can't remember which it is but I think that's the most expensive handling fee there is...hope that helps

Last edited:
Convert the cost of the razor plus shipping into £, then add 20% for the VAT and £8 to £15 for the handling fee.
If the consignment exceeds a certain value, then there is an import duty on top of the VAT etc. I seem to recall that the rate is 2.7% for safety razors, and the threshold is £135. When I bought my Timeless kit of several caps, bases and handles in one go, the total came to around £475 sterling, so I took a caning on the VAT, paid some import duty, but only £8 to Royal Mail.

My logic at the time was that if I bought what I wanted piecemeal, then I might just miss the import duty (not too big a sum), but the VAT would total up over several consignments, and of course it would be greater than on one shipment, as VAT is charged on the shipping cost as well as the goods. For example, if I bought three separate shipments, at a shipping cost of, say, £10 each, the I would be paying VAT at 20% on £30. If I bought in one shipment, which, for example, cost £15 because of increased weight, then VAT would be on £15, not £30. I would also pay just one fee of £8 to RM for the thing.

I bit the bullet, and it was my single most expensive contemporary razor purchase, but they are superb pieces of shaving kit.

If the consignment exceeds a certain value, then there is an import duty on top of the VAT etc. I seem to recall that the rate is 2.7% for safety razors, and the threshold is £135. When I bought my Timeless kit of several caps, bases and handles in one go, the total came to around £475 sterling, so I took a caning on the VAT, paid some import duty, but only £8 to Royal Mail.

My logic at the time was that if I bought what I wanted piecemeal, then I might just miss the import duty (not too big a sum), but the VAT would total up over several consignments, and of course it would be greater than on one shipment, as VAT is charged on the shipping cost as well as the goods. For example, if I bought three separate shipments, at a shipping cost of, say, £10 each, the I would be paying VAT at 20% on £30. If I bought in one shipment, which, for example, cost £15 because of increased weight, then VAT would be on £15, not £30. I would also pay just one fee of £8 to RM for the thing.

I bit the bullet, and it was my single most expensive contemporary razor purchase, but they are superb pieces of shaving kit.
That's true there is VAT and import duty but when I ordered my oneblade genesis I was under the limit for that so I'm assuming the timeless will be the same, they only charge import duty if the total exceeds the limit before VAT and other charges are applied, the other duty is aimed at businesses, oh and you can avoid the handling fee by paying the vat upfront, just seems a bit of a farse to me but if you had a business I guess it would be worth doing

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom