Anyone use a Rolls razor?

Hi, i've seen a few of these Rolls razors on ebay for not a lot of cash, and whilst the idea of a straight on a stick with a hone and strop built into the tin might seem a bit gimmicky i have to profess i'm intrigued.

Are they any good or is there a reason they never caught on and are available so cheaply?

Thanks.

I have few Rolls Razor, I think they are a class of it is own, they are very well engineered and built and also they are very cool. So if you ever come across to a decent one(without rusty blade, cracked hone and dried out strop) and can afford it then buy it. Even if you don't use it, it is a great piece to look at on the display shelf. Even some women and other people not interested in shaving and vintage stuff loves it and asks questions about it.
When it comes to shaving; from my experience it gives a decent shave if only you spend a lot of time to hone it properly. I honed mine on a coticule, then 12K Naniwa and the shave was a good normal shave, nothing wonderful. I can get better shaves from a straight razor and a Gillette flair tip or slim twist/adjustable with fresh Astra or Gillette silver blue etc..
If you want a decent shave from a RR and decide to use the hone in the contraption only, then in my opinion you may find it bit uncomfortable(depends on the previous usage and the state of the blade as well) However in this forum we have some honemasters with plenty of good reputation and experience, they should hone the razor for you.
Finally why they are plenty and easy to come across and inexpensive? Because lots of them were produced, they were built to last so they still stand strong, they were widely available(all over the world), spare/repair parts were available as well, also they were common/popular Christmas/Birthday/Fathers Day etc.. presents.

As the above poster has said, be careful when buying because alot of them are next to useless, broken stones , ripped leather strops, chipped blades ect.....I have a few that are in perfect condition with blades that have been sharpened by Billy, so if you are looking for a good shave ready one drop me a PM :).

I bought a few for very little money and used the best bits from each to make one good one.

I tried to shave with it and to be honest it felt like I was pulling my whiskers out with tweezers so I sent the wedge blade off to Billy for honing and sharpening.
He honed it on a Naniwa 12k stone. (The correct grade as per manufacturers instruction) and I intend to use it today or tomorrow.
I will tag you @Bazz in my SOTD for you to read my findings. :)

Back
Top Bottom