Anyone using a Hone 15 DE razor?

I just came across this razor tonight due to this video review:

It appears to be a razor out of The Netherlands (even though that piece of information took a while to find on the site) but with no real mentioning about who is behind the razor which is a pet-peeve of mine. I find that a degree of transparency into who is behind a product is important to me these days as sites and e-commerce distances yourself from the vendor even more. That in itself might be enough for me personally to not pursue a razor from them.

They also have their own product video here:

Product site here

Note: Discount code for the razor "thecleanshaver" will get you GBP 15 off the razor.

Hone+Type+15+Double+Edged+Safety+Razor

Anywho....anyone have one and used it?

Last edited:
Quote from the website:

"Type 15 is made from solid Brass which offers great thermal conductivity, perfect weight, and a unique changing finish. The surface on your new razor will mellow and take on a unique patina for every owner based on their habits. It will deepen with age but areas with heavy contact will burnish and shine."

Dear Darkbulb,

Thank you for reaching out through the website and suggesting I introduce myself. My name is Andrew I am the person behind Hone Shaving. I am sorry there was not more information available on the site, I will work on changing that. If you have any comments or questions I am very happy to hear them and answer, I'm keen for feedback - it goes straight to the management, design department, and engineering as it were because I am all of them.

A bit about me, I am a Lead Industrial Designer for one of the worlds largest medical device manufacturers, during the day I work on life support machines, surgical equipment, respiratory devices. It is either lucky or a curse but I love what I do. Hone started as a chance to take my mind off some of that work yet design something that used those skills and knowledge. I had hoped it would also be less emotionally charged.... but as usual I am very invested in everything I work on and along the way everything takes on meaning. I have put a lot personally into making the razor and getting it to where it is and hope that it might continue long into the future.

I look forward to interacting here after being just a reader for some time.

Many Thanks,

Andrew.

And I thought it worth calling out in a separate post, but I would like to say thank you to Scott 'The Clean Shaver' for a lovely review. Scott has been great to talk to and e-mail with, he is a true gentleman.

Can't see who makes it nor what it is made of. £120 shipped to UK. I can give that a miss without trying.

Hi Bechet, The razor is made from solid brass, sorry that wasn't clearer, the website is changing fast at the moment; I will make this more explicit. I know the price is at the premium end of the market, at the moment the Type 15 is produced in small batches and 100% CNC machined. I wanted to create something unique from a design perspective, but I am not just a visual designer. Sacrificing usability for visual design is not something I am comfortable with. I engineered the Type 15 from scratch, it was not built off someone else's geometry (honestly the first prototypes were unusable while I tried new things) It took two years of development, and the price is a by product of this, I hope that goes some way to explaining why it costs what it does. Thanks, Andrew.

I will humbly visit your site again.

Edit: Having looked again - and discovered I need to scroll down a lot - I still don't know much about the razor.

Two questions jump out for me - how is the razor finished as that is solid brass and, crucially for me, how long is the handle, please? It doesn't look like 100mm so a third question, is there or will there be a 100mm version?

I will humbly visit your site again
Bechet, thank you, and honestly no need for the humble comment. Its up to me to make these things clearer, and these interactions will only lead to better more informative website and ultimately better products, which I'm sure is why Darkbulb suggested I introduce myself in the first place.

Edit: Having looked again - and discovered I need to scroll down a lot - I still don't know much about the razor.

Two questions jump out for me - how is the razor finished as that is solid brass and, crucially for me, how long is the handle, please? It doesn't look like 100mm so a third question, is there or will there be a 100mm version?

Hi, good questions - The surface has a texture on it (very specifically a VDI finish of 30). I wanted to find a way to avoid needing to use knurling or big grip features. This type of finish produces great amounts of grip when its wet, it is uncanny and seems counter intuitive to look at, but it works well. Here is a photo of two prototype parts in comparison to a texture scale from when I was testing the final texture.

Hone_type_15_texture_comparison.jpg

The handle is 75mm, but that is deceptive, the way it blends into the head means there is actually 85mm of length there. I do have plans to look at different length handles, but need to find an acceptable way of keeping the weight and balance in check - drilling out the center doesn't do enough at the moment, and I'm not keen on producing a water trap in the handle either - its work in progress.

I'm liking this razor more and more - but at the moment, the handle length is a deal breaker for me. Arthritis in my thumbs as well as huge hands, de dah. Please let us know when you figure out the extension.

They all work well in my hands, Hone - but they are all fitted either with customised maker's handles or with artisan handles. Because of your finish, artisan handles are out and I must rely on you producing a 100mm handle version.

I'm a bit known here for 100mm handles.

Dear Darkbulb,

Thank you for reaching out through the website and suggesting I introduce myself. My name is Andrew I am the person behind Hone Shaving. I am sorry there was not more information available on the site, I will work on changing that. If you have any comments or questions I am very happy to hear them and answer, I'm keen for feedback - it goes straight to the management, design department, and engineering as it were because I am all of them.

A bit about me, I am a Lead Industrial Designer for one of the worlds largest medical device manufacturers, during the day I work on life support machines, surgical equipment, respiratory devices. It is either lucky or a curse but I love what I do. Hone started as a chance to take my mind off some of that work yet design something that used those skills and knowledge. I had hoped it would also be less emotionally charged.... but as usual I am very invested in everything I work on and along the way everything takes on meaning. I have put a lot personally into making the razor and getting it to where it is and hope that it might continue long into the future.

I look forward to interacting here after being just a reader for some time.

Many Thanks,

Andrew.

Happy to see you over here Andrew. It's a great looking razor but as we discussed earlier the lack of information about the people/person behind the company wa a deterrent for me. I'd say you have sucessfully mitigated those concerns with this info. :)

I keep meaning to say - and then forgetting, as is my custom in most things - thanks for bringing this razor to my/our attention, @Darkbulb. This enabling will eventually work, I'm sure, as soon as we get an extra 15mm.

Back
Top Bottom