Approaching 60.....and getting the urge to try a straight

Been hankering to try a straight razor. My DE shaving technique is by no means perfect....so I'm not averse to the sight of blood! Your task......should you choose to accept it......is to

1) Talk me out of it................or

2) Give me advice (that maybe also talks me out of it).

Thank you.
Give it a go or you will never know! :) P. Edit...Billy may even have a razor suitable for you and a shed load of advice :)

Last edited:
Been hankering to try a straight razor. My DE shaving technique is by no means perfect....so I'm not averse to the sight of blood! Your task......should you choose to accept it......is to

1) Talk me out of it................or

2) Give me advice (that maybe also talks me out of it).

Thank you.
There is a Lot Talk about Blood Shedding Whilst Shaving with SRs..I have Never had More than a Wee Nick that I have Got with Any Other Razor..I Get More Cuts Honing them..Honing & Handling them in General is More Dangerous than Shaving with them in My Experience..:rolleyes:

If You Take it Slowly it Can be an Enjoyable Journey..Running before You Can Walk Can Make the Journey More Harder & Less Safe..If You are Looking for a Nice Shave Ready SR then PM Me..I have a Few..:D

Billy

Do it!

My 2p worth:
any razor from @Fergiebilly will be shave ready & as good as it gets.
Stropping takes a bit of learning, don't buy a massively expensive strop to start as a few nicks along the way are very likely.

It is very different to using a safety razor & I wobbled a bit at first.

It really is a great, great way to start the day. 3 months or so you should be getting consistently good shaves, better than any safety razor. For me, Its the same difference again from carts to DE and well worth the little bit of perseverance required at the start.
Got plenty of help & good advice from this forum, you're in the right place.

Scratch that itch ! It's not that challenging and certainly not that hazardous. F/billy will see you right with a suitable blade and advice as needed. And, if he has prepared it then it will truly be shave ready. I taught myself without the benefit of any advice and it all worked out just fine. For me the only secret was to concentrate on keeping the heel of the razor down to my face. I had a gr8 tendency to allow it to rise up until the razor was nearly at right angles to my face ... not recommended. Go for it and enjoy, you'll be a log time looking at a coffin lid from the inside saying, " I really wish I had.".

JohnnyO. o/

Ask if Fergiebilly has got some of his Chinese razors left. In my experience these models can be good for newbies, inexpensive but also with a blade that due to size and heft is easy to handle, predictable would be my word to describe the feeling, if enjoying the experience you will then start thinking of moving on to a more finely tuned instrument, if you hate it no big money lost.

Did you really think anyone here would talk you out of it?

I had the same itch earlier this year. Tried it and discovered it wasn't for me. It might be different for you.

I still enjoy using my Feather AC razors, almost, but not quite the same thing.

Be careful where you buy one from, most sold as shave ready are not shave ready. You won't have that problem with anything you buy from FergieBilly.

I think I might have talked myself into having another go!

Must resist...

Last edited:
I picked up my SR for the first time in ages yesterday. I'm on holiday so had the time to devote to an SR shave and really enjoyed it. I will not admit to it being as close as my DE shave where I can sling it around with gay abandon, you do have to take your time but it is rewarding knowing you have shaved with a totally unguarded blade and not only survived but got a decent shave from it too. I won't BS you, it is a faff at first. The edge is delicate and easy to ruin due to bad stropping technique, catching it or god forbid dropping it. Stropping has to be learned as does the technique of shaving but at one time all men used them so if they weren't effective as a shaving tool they wouldn't have lasted.
Give it a go it isn't as frightening as you think and cost wise it is cheaper than DE shaving.

Back
Top Bottom