Bathroom Storage Help

TL;DR . . . I need a foot long, narrow storage solution for the bathroom.

For those who can be bothered to read in full: I have limited storage space in our small bathroom. Not really any wall space for a cabinet. The only wall you could even think of putting one on would have you either banging your head walking in or using the toilet, or accidentally knocking something off a shelf INTO the toilet. Not to mention it is partly taken up by a heated towel rail anyway. . . I have a cheapo 4 draw storage tower with rope handle pull thingies on by the door, of which I am allowed ONE draw, which is filled with backup stuff only (spare deodorants, shower gels etc) as I can't be bothered opening draws for stuff I use daily.

The things I DO like about the bathroom are the big chunky tiled windowsill shelf for putting stuff on, and the amount of natural light that floods in is great for shaving. Most of the daily used stuff & shaving gear is on this shelf in a lined wiry cage basket thing that came with a fancy bottle of wine we were given years ago that seemed too nice to throw out. Problem is that the lining is old & ripped & I could do with a better solution. I am a bit OCD about things being flush to the surface so I don't think I could handle a wicker basket type thing where bottles etc don't sit level. The wife already has one of such monstrosities at the opposite end of the shelf and it drives me insane when the contents are all over the place. Even though it's not my stuff, I end up standing bottles and containers as upright as possible but cos of the wicker underneath they STILL won't sit properly. AAARRRGH! Please tell me it's not just me who gets annoyed by this stuff!

So I need something about the size of a wine case (not much wider or it won't fit on the sill) for my shaving stuff. It must NOT be made of wicker and should be shallow enough that I can easily see the contents. I could go for a ‘Really Useful Box' but this seems a bit boring and predictable. I could try and find a similar wine case again but things have never sat perfectly on this anyway due to the wiry cage underneath the lining (so it's been only marginally better than flaming wicker!) Something nice looking that the razor will look good in (don't currently have a stand, may get one someday), is easy to clean & won't get wrecked if it gets wet etc. Any ideas? I can post pics of what I use now & where it sits later when I'm home if that helps. Thanks & well done for listening to a long rant about a small box !

how about the wooden crates from Ikea?

knagglig-cutie__0311952_PE429576_S4.JPG

TL;DR . . . I need a foot long, narrow storage solution for the bathroom.

For those who can be bothered to read in full: I have limited storage space in our small bathroom. Not really any wall space for a cabinet. The only wall you could even think of putting one on would have you either banging your head walking in or using the toilet, or accidentally knocking something off a shelf INTO the toilet. Not to mention it is partly taken up by a heated towel rail anyway. . . I have a cheapo 4 draw storage tower with rope handle pull thingies on by the door, of which I am allowed ONE draw, which is filled with backup stuff only (spare deodorants, shower gels etc) as I can't be bothered opening draws for stuff I use daily.

The things I DO like about the bathroom are the big chunky tiled windowsill shelf for putting stuff on, and the amount of natural light that floods in is great for shaving. Most of the daily used stuff & shaving gear is on this shelf in a lined wiry cage basket thing that came with a fancy bottle of wine we were given years ago that seemed too nice to throw out. Problem is that the lining is old & ripped & I could do with a better solution. I am a bit OCD about things being flush to the surface so I don't think I could handle a wicker basket type thing where bottles etc don't sit level. The wife already has one of such monstrosities at the opposite end of the shelf and it drives me insane when the contents are all over the place. Even though it's not my stuff, I end up standing bottles and containers as upright as possible but cos of the wicker underneath they STILL won't sit properly. AAARRRGH! Please tell me it's not just me who gets annoyed by this stuff!

So I need something about the size of a wine case (not much wider or it won't fit on the sill) for my shaving stuff. It must NOT be made of wicker and should be shallow enough that I can easily see the contents. I could go for a ‘Really Useful Box' but this seems a bit boring and predictable. I could try and find a similar wine case again but things have never sat perfectly on this anyway due to the wiry cage underneath the lining (so it's been only marginally better than flaming wicker!) Something nice looking that the razor will look good in (don't currently have a stand, may get one someday), is easy to clean & won't get wrecked if it gets wet etc. Any ideas? I can post pics of what I use now & where it sits later when I'm home if that helps. Thanks & well done for listening to a long rant about a small box !
I have a wood box that used to hold tomatoes from Jersey, such boxes can be obtained from proper fruit and veg merchants, worth asking the next time you pass one. :) P.

Thanks for the ideas. The Ikea crate looks a bit deep for what I'm after. Want something (that's) lower at the front at least. Also those corner supports would annoy me! Never thought about a tomato crate. . .

Have a look on ebay lots of used wooden crates on there, sure to find something suitable for not a lot. Failing that make one to your own dimensions it isn't difficult and you'll get the extra pleasure knowing you made it.

Ended up getting a Really Useful Box 1.5 litre 'pencil box'. Perfect size for a windowsill. A bit narrower than what I used before but longer so plenty of room anyway. Low front and see through, ideal !

Wouldn't mind getting a stand for the razor now. Love the look of those heavy Rockwell inkwell stands but think the DE89 may be slightly too wide for the hole. Maybe I will get an EJ angled stand while their sale is on

https://www.edwinjagger.co.uk/edwin-jagger-chrome-small-razor-stand.html

Back
Top Bottom