Bean to cup v other

I have been allowed to look at coffee machines. But a bit unsure on what to look for. I have a cafeteria and a aero press, love the aeropress, with a hario slim grinder.
Had some really nice coffee in France, I'm afraid to say it was just white coffee from a machine. Which is what spured me on to look at machines.

My wife likes either filter coffee or macchiatos I'll drink anything but never really one for straight espressos.

What do you guys reccomend ?

Well stick with brewed coffee is my suggestion based on your post. It's a far cheaper way to drink top notch coffee but you really need to get a grinder.
I would suggest you get over to Coffee Forums UK and get reading

If you look down a couple in the coffee section you'll see my reference to Nuova Simonelli. I was referring to the Oscar machine. It's a full size (58mm portafilter) single group domestic/light commercial machine which requires you either buy pre ground coffee or buy your own beans and grind them yourself in a decent electric grinder...a hand one isn't really suitable. I think I said much the same in another coffee post but whoever asked the question never replied and I didn't pursue the issue. Maybe it's not what many people want to do because the machine is around £500 delivered from Italy and any grinder worth buying is not cheap....my Rancilio Rocky is about £250 now. And you then do as you do with shaving gear....buy a load more bits and pieces...and you finish up spending more than you ever imagined. And the above machines are really the minimum I personally would consider getting.

BUT

If either of my machines broke and couldn't economically be fixed I'd have replacements ordered the same day. Delivery from Italy is within a couple of days and ditto grinders, from the UK or abroad. I even have a spare, working, Gaggia Classic handy just in case.

Our daily coffee(s) are such as major part of the day I couldn't imagine why I'd ever not a half decent machine and grinder. I buy beans locally (ish) and grind them as needed minutes before making the coffee. Cappuccinos usually with occasional long white coffees (whatever the current fashionable term for that is). Never espresso...can't stand the stuff.

Feel free to take no notice of the above as it's not a cheap option...but it does for us. See Bella Barista http://www.bellabarista.co.uk/ for a flavour of what you can get in the UK.

FrankieG said:
You could check out a Moka Express pot. Makes great coffee and is much simpler to maintain than a home espresso machine. See this thread.

I have used this method for many years, and never had a problem with it. Its great when time isn't an issue. As I start work @4am I tended to go out of the house without a morning brew, and get one from the first wild bean BP garage on my route. I have been looking at bean to cup machines for ages, and in January finally bought one. Got it off the bay, new, for half the rrp. I bought the Saeco Intelia(other makes are available lol), and after looking on here settled on the Rave coffee Italian blend beans. To say I'm pleased, would be an understatement. I now take a latte with me every morning, and the difference in the quality is enormous. SWMBO has gone from sarcastic men and toys jibes, to the best coffee she's ever had(she has the long black with a splash of tinned milk). The only thing to take into account is keeping it clean and descaling every 4 to 6 weeks, depending on water hardness in your area. Not a coffee expert, just know what I like, and happy with what I have.

Back
Top Bottom