Been gifted a Gillette TTO

I guess that a lot of you (just like me) also 'live' on the B&B forum?
Anyway, I asked there about a Gillette TTO, Made in England that was given to me today.
Thought I may as well ask on here too in case the B&B forum can't help.
1. What model is this please (and year if possible)?
2. Can I strip it down to clean any gunk out of the TTO mechanism?
3. If I can strip it down, how?
Many thanks for any help.
The razor is currently having a bath in hot water and detergent.
Any other care and feeding rituals I should know?
4SIlXfY.jpg

flndt4A.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
You can buy an ultra sonic cleaner that will do a little better job. Here's a vid on disassembly, but I have never done this with a Rocket as they are different than the parent U.S. version Super-Speed, e.g., crimped head & different twist cap. I'm sure someone else here has done it & will chime in however:

Nice razor! ........ It's a Rocket HD / HD 500 / or Gillete #59 .... Depepnding what case it came in :D

The mechanisms on these are assembled, then the whole thing is crimped together, so you won't be stripping it down any time soon.

I've dipped a few of these in a pan of boiling water before today ..... Clean up lovely ;)

Sweet...thanks guys.
I like the idea of the boiling water. This razor has sat in a drawer for many years so who knows what may 'lurk' inside it.
I'll give it a boil up in the morning (9.18pm here at the moment).

I basically do the same a quick dip in boiling water 5 mins( if the razor is really filthy then a 5 mins soak in barbacide too) if not, i use a old toothbrush, "toothpaste"(yes toothpaste)/washing up liquid..a good scubbing( rinse with warm water,then use a tea towel/ cotton bubs to dry it..once a month i clean all my razors this way and have never had any problems with germs or scum residue left on the razor..

Sterilise in boiling water (no Milton/bleach), wrap in tissue to draw water out, a couple of squirts of WD40 to lubricate and make any blemishes removable with cotton wool buds.
Works for me on old '60s stuff!
Works for me

An Ultra-Sonic bath will get gunk from all the hard to reach places also good for adjustables that have lost their last quarter turn I got mine from aldi and every few months do all my razors in it

Sterilise in boiling water (no Milton/bleach), wrap in tissue to draw water out, a couple of squirts of WD40 to lubricate and make any blemishes removable with cotton wool buds.
Works for me on old '60s stuff!
Works for me

Actually, WD40 is not a lubricant. The "WD" stands for water dispersant. It's essentially kerosene, or a modern derivative thereof. The razor repair experts recommend/use glycerine to lube.

Slightly off topic, still recall hearing the comments of an R.N. " tiffy " after he had visited a civilian firearms range and witnessed some poor, well meaning unfortunate using WD 40 on the bolt action of a target rifle. His rage, even recalling the incident, was fearsome to behold !

JohnnyO. o/

Slightly off topic, still recall hearing the comments of an R.N. " tiffy " after he had visited a civilian firearms range and witnessed some poor, well meaning unfortunate using WD 40 on the bolt action of a target rifle. His rage, even recalling the incident, was fearsome to behold !

JohnnyO. o/

As a note: you can use the German gun cleaner & all 'round lube Ballistol on razors as it's food grade. I have used it as such before, but be warned that the smell is not for the timid. :eek:

Actually, WD40 is not a lubricant. The "WD" stands for water dispersant. It's essentially kerosene, or a modern derivative thereof. The razor repair experts recommend/use glycerine to lube.
Well, well....I never knew that. Always use it to free up sticky nuts and bolts etc, so just assumed it was a lubricant as well!

Got a bottle of Ballistol right here I use for my rifle, Boge ....... You're right about that smell..... and if you leave the cap off for a while, it permeates the bloody room too.

GT75 is another one that gets on my nerves ...... It's Teflon based spray lube; got a bit of a stink of its own, too. I'm fed up of telling other cyclists to stop using it to lube their chains. It's got a million uses, but numpties still insist on using it in the one place lubrication is a bit critical even though it gets washed off in a ten second shower.

Back
Top Bottom