Best razors and blades for cold water shaving?

In this boiling weather I am tempted to have a go at cold water shaving. I don't want to cut myself to bits though. What blades, razors in your experience work well?

I've cold-water shaved with straight razors before with little issue. My favourite razor and blade combo at the moment is a Thomas Clipper Mk1 loaded with an Astra Platinum blade. It's been getting me the best, closest, irritation-free results of almost all my other combinations so far.

That being said, I nigh-on exclusively cold-water shave nowadays and all my combinations have worked well (except for my last with the RR Hawk and a Feather Pro which I got carried away with; i.e. entirely user error).

Just use the same as warm water, I have cold water shaved for nearly 3 weeks straight with verious razors and blades. The shaves have been great each time and no irritation or nicks and only an occasional weeper on my chin. If I had to pick a top combo for me it would be Wilkinson Sword blade in a Gillette Super Adjustable.

I don't know if it makes much difference but my prep is a shower and soak my brush in warm water. Then I just use cold water for the rest of the duration. Rinsing my razor from the tap as opposed to filling the sink. Find it easier to clean the razor especially when using cold water, which a swish in a sink doesn't clean completely.

I've been a cold water shaver for about a year now. Cold weather or hot. Prep's always done with hot water, but inter-pass rinsing and razor rinsing I always use cold from the tap. Unless its carelessness, I never get burn or irritation.

I've never found a combo that didn't work: DE or SE, OC or CC. Good prep's the key and all the other common sense stuff.

Recent combos:

SE - Gem Micromatic Clog-Pruf and Gem Personna, 1935 Schick Injector Eversharp and Personna Injector
DE (open comb) - Fatip Piccolo and Astra SP
DE (closed comb) - 1956 Gillette Red Tip SS
and Gillette 7 o' Clock Yellow

Last edited:
I get a closer shave & far less prone to any irritation using cold water during the shave.
Still hot/warm shower as a prep.

Give it a go.
Whatever you do normally, but, use cold only for the shave.

Back
Top Bottom