Boar knots/brushes

How do

Are there different grades of Boar knots? Only got one Boar which is a Zenith in an Ever Ready handle. Enjoyed it & wondered if there is such a thing as the “best”

Cheers
Shaun
Semogue have a grading chart indicating the difference in bristle tips of their boar brushes, some are softer than other's, I'm sure it's been posted on here before or you could Google it.

Semogue Boar Grade:- FYI
kWgL8jo.jpg

So now the question is: Can you spot the difference between Semogue knots in use and how do they compare to knots from Omega and Zenith?

I'm told that Omega only has two boar grade which I'm unable to prove and to get any further information on the Omega boar grade, I'm unable to chase down any further information on the Zenith boar grade as well sorry.

I'm told that Omega only has two boar grade which I'm unable to prove and to get any further information on the Omega boar grade, I'm unable to chase down any further information on the Zenith boar grade as well sorry.

When it comes to Omega boar I think they might have 3 different types.

Unbleached plain/unbanded- which is found in a number of brushes like in a 10066
Unbleached banded, - found in brushes including 80265
Bleached banded - 81 series brushes

FWIW, I'm not sure what the differences between the unbleached banded & plain Omega knots are, but I presume there will be something as the banded ones will have had an additional chemical process applied.

I myself have a bleached & unbleached Zenith boar brushes, and the differences between them are huge. The bleached one is a soft fluffy cloud without any backbone at all, and the unbleached one is a very scrubby beast with a lot of backbone.

As I am not a soft cloud fan I would like to test 26 mm Zenith bleached with less loft than the 60 mm bought and later binned. Happy as is with my 24 mm unbleached scrubby Zenith. (tested to remove knot from floppy 26 mm Zenith, easy, too bad I was working outdoors, bounced twice and oops! landed in a not very clean bird bath: binned!)

Last edited:
Remember that boar like badger and horse are all natural products and so there will be variations based on exact breed of the critter, weather conditions (winter hair likely different than summer hair) , how it was treated, the skill of the knot maker and even where the hair came from on the critter (a horse's mane hair is usually softer than tail hair). Throw in various other factors like mixed hair type (boar tops vs other or horse mane vs tail) and it becomes near impossible to create any universal standards.

Back
Top Bottom