British Sterling, Stetson and English Leather

Hi everyone,
I like the old school/classic alcohol based, budget(inexpensive) aftershaves that were or still used by ordinary average people. These three aftershaves comes from America I think. I thought they are like the evening or night out alternatives to AquaVelva, Old Spice, Skinbracer and Brut which I always think of morning aftershaves. Anyway to cut a long story short I got these three aftershaves few months ago and my personal opinion is; British Sterling is nice, masculine, fresh aftershave I can smell bit of lavender and tabacco.
English Leather is nice as well, the scent changes on the skin after application and I find the scent similar to vintage Imperial leather aftershave.
Stetson is quite disappointing with sickly sweet, floral, grandmother cologne type of scent.

Our local chain pharmacy sells English Leather and Stetson, but not British Sterling. I like English Leather, but not Stetson. About 40 + years ago, I think, British Sterling was my favourite aftershave; I had thought it was no longer made so I'll have to dig around to find some.

Last edited:
...Stetson is quite disappointing with sickly sweet, floral, grandmother cologne type of scent.

Although I don't have a bottle I actually kind of like it. Then again, I'm well past 50. :oops: Canoe is another one that is quite powdery. The old original was much better than the reformulated Dana version however. As a young man in the 70's it was popular in the USA for Xmas gifts as was Brut & Pierre Cardin.

Although I don't have a bottle I actually kind of like it. Then again, I'm well past 50. :oops: Canoe is another one that is quite powdery. The old original was much better than the reformulated Dana version however. As a young man in the 70's it was popular in the USA for Xmas gifts as was Brut & Pierre Cardin.
These reformulations don't seem to work. The thing about Stetson; it is not like a disgusting smell, to my nose it is more like a way too sweet, floral, female perfume designed for over 60 years old. I wouldn't say it has a powdery scent but mind you there were few different types of Stetson, the one I got is the 'original'. Perhaps the real deal(pre-formulation) Stetson was powdery.

You know, a real classic is the original Chaps by Ralph Lauren. As a young man I used gallons of it and nowadays it goes for a pretty penny & I have nary a drop!! :( Avoid the reform. however.

Back
Top Bottom