Brushless shaving creams

K

kamisori

Has anybody tried a good brushless shaving cream?

On my recent vacation, I tried Dermalogica Soothing Shave Cream, and I was surprised how good it performed with both my OneBlade, Pils DE (KAI blade) and my Feather AC DX razors. I got very close and troublefree shaves with a wonderfull post shave feeling with no real need for an ASB. Actually the shaves where so good that I'm considering to try the cream for an extended period and put the use of my AdP, SMN, Castle Forbes and ABC creams on hold.

What's your thoughts - pros and cons?

So far I've used 3 different Brushless creams; First one is Boots freshwood which smells great and does the job, but generally speaking I find brushless creams sticks to razors(both de and straight) and clogs and doesn't rinse off as easy as others.
Second is a Turkish made in a big tub I think it is gummy or something like that, that I bought from the barber. Again it is good not as sticky as Boots and I use it as a pre-shave or face wash, also contains menthol, it is very refreshing.
Third is the best among them is Pinaud brushless cream, it is very good in my opinion also it can be used as an Aftershave Balm.
They all do the job and provide good glide, protection and good post shave feeling.

I've tried a few:

Boots Freshwood - certainly does the job and my go-to for a quick shave
Dove - again, perfectly adequate
Kiehl's - way more expensive but not noticeably better (although you can use less)
Lucky Tiger - great scent out the bottle, quickly vanishes, disappointing performance
Zirh - total shiiiite

As Sezer1974 says, they tend to clog the blade, at least on the first pass, but provide a reasonable shave. Not on par with those that need a brush, but WAY better than my (very expensive) electric POS.

Lea isn't bad, I have also used it as a hot oil cleanser before a shave too (saw Paul H do this & it did seem to help).
Its a nice stop-gap when travelling.
Big tube, lasted 18 months or so.

Over my +50 years of shaving I've tried numerous brushless shaving creams and ended up pitching them after 3/4 shaves. About a month ago I tried a Kiss My Face brushless and pitched it after 2 shaves. I find that all the brushless creams I've tried don't lubricate my face very well, feel sticky and clog my razor; at the end of a 2 pass shave my face feels irritated and not very smooth. I use shaving cream only and always lather on my face and find that TOBS and Trumper shaving creams give me far superior shaves to any brushless I've tried.

I've just tried a brushless shave cream for the first time in a few years, Naples Soap Company Coconut Water, that I picked up on a recent trip to Florida. Overall it was a pretty good shave though it just didn't feel quite as comfortable as brush based software. Maybe just because this is the first time I'd tried it.

I'll certainly try it again, and can also see it making a pretty good pre-shave soap, and the coconut scent is really nice.

David.

The only one i've tried is Boots freshwood, of which i didn't realize it was brushless until actually opened it and tried to mix it with a brush, it make a superb pre-shave, i still use it for this purpose in my SOTD's every now and then.
I've a passion for the Boots Freshwood A/S & balm and this make a wonderful trio when i add them to my shave set up.

Greetings

I was given a tube of Kiehl's as a gift last Christmas (perhaps the Christmas before) I tried it and thought it was extremely poor, little slip and the razor pulled. Many years ago Ingram's made a brushless version and that too was crap little wonder they discontinued it.
Personally I think you would do better with a tube of any good shaving cream meant for brush use by rubbing it on your face with your hands!

Regards
Dick.

I learned the hard way some creams are brushless. I have tried Ursa, Weleda, and one other. Possibly my poor technique or something, however, seemed to take longer to apply brushless creams and more cream needed compared to using a brush and face lather. I do not recall either great or poor performance. Might be good for travel.

I've used the BBA shave butter to good effect when using a straight blade but it would clog up other razors no matter how much rinsing under the tap, good stuff but only for straights and Rolls razors ect.

Reactions: Roy
Back
Top Bottom