case linings

I would really like to defunk my milord case. I have no idea what soap the previous owners used, but its cloying and annoying and stinks. I would prefer to keep the original liner, but the stink is heavy duty funk.

not at the moment, I use my cell phone for photos and well its basically shorting out and no longer connecting to the internet. but telemarketers can still call me on it.

Its just light fraying really were the fabric is supposed to wrap around the bottom tray plate were the blade tuck sits. Its not "soiled or dirty" just reeks of whatever soap was used previously. I had the razor soaking all day in water with soap designed to break down dairy residue from milk buckets. And it couldn't touch the scum OR the smell on the razor itself.

I have a heavy tech case that has a scent im not fond of, but I don't care on that.

The telemarketers use a special chip in your phone that operates separately - it's the one that senses when you're about to eat tea for them to ring !!

One thing that might be causing it if the fabric seems clean, is the adhesive that was used originally. I suspect it was made of something very strange as when I've stripped back cases for restoration the view underneath the fabric is usually pretty gross :

b1af9f890f768d862e438e0de6715fd7.jpg

It may be worth removing the fabric gently, cleaning it with a cotton bud and mild detergent and removing the funk you find behind the fabric - then using fresh adhesive once it's clean. Halfords sell a good adhesive to use - it's an aerosol of adhesive that is used for sticking fabric to parcel shelves in cars. It won't seep through the fabric and dries almost instantly as a contact adhesive on both surfaces and then just press together.

All the best,

Jay :)

The telemarketers use a special chip in your phone that operates separately - it's the one that senses when you're about to eat tea for them to ring !!

One thing that might be causing it if the fabric seems clean, is the adhesive that was used originally. I suspect it was made of something very strange as when I've stripped back cases for restoration the view underneath the fabric is usually pretty gross :

b1af9f890f768d862e438e0de6715fd7.jpg

It may be worth removing the fabric gently, cleaning it with a cotton bud and mild detergent and removing the funk you find behind the fabric - then using fresh adhesive once it's clean. Halfords sell a good adhesive to use - it's an aerosol of adhesive that is used for sticking fabric to parcel shelves in cars. It won't seep through the fabric and dries almost instantly as a contact adhesive on both surfaces and then just press together.

All the best,

A lot of the older glues used both to build wooden razor cases and then to attach coverings and linings were based on animal products (hooves, hides etc., like Scotch or pearl glue), and can smell somewhat in later life. Other glues had a vegetable element, such as pure rubber latex with an alcohol or similar "carrier", and these can also be smelly (think proper pre-War rubber macintoshes that have hung in cupboards for years).

I've restored a number of old melodeons (squeezeboxes), which have arrived with the innards and bellows reeking of, usually, years of tobacco smoke. My preferred method of removing the smell is judicious use of Febreze fabric refresher, which may need several applications. I've tried this on a couple of Gillette cases, with good results.

Hi @Bezoar

Have you got a quick picture of the case lining ? If you want a really good clean up, I would be inclined to remove the lining and clean it delicately with a VERY mild detergent and a cotton bud, then reinstall the lining with aerosol fabric adhesive - don't try and aim the aerosol though, spray it into a plastic tub and apply very quickly (it dries mega fast) with a toothpick to maintain control of where the adhesive goes.

If you post a pic it will give us an idea of how best to advise.

Best wishes,

ill take photos on the morrow. I had some good luck. I had a hunch the moldy smell was a result of well, water buildup over years of having a sopping wet razor put inside.

I tugged the bottom tray, and it started moving. the biggest hurdle was the white band that acts as a shield when the lid is closed. that seems to serve a double purpose of acting as a friction wedge on the bottom tray.

that tray popped out, the lining on it is barely being held on. The few spots i bothed with were loose and the glue seems to have gotten wet and molded a tad and broken loose. The top was being held on by a single spot that has given way. the wax paper shield that goes over the actual hinge and sitting under the top lining, is basically disintegrating.

the interior of the case itself has rust spots, the bottom plate has rust spots and could use a replate as well. but to replate the case itself i would have to figure out a way to remove the exterior cover, without destroying it. or just find similar material.

If you post a pic it will save a million words lol .... If I'm thinking right, it may be a candidate for selective replating .... Which can be done leaving any exterior finish on the case in place !

its been a while, been stuck on other things. I am curious how the external glued on covering comes off. I dont like it anymore, its niceish but has pieces missing.

I hate the idea of loosing the Gillette name on the external covering, but im thinking it might be good for a complete remake case wise. strip the exterior and interior out, just use the best fabric parts for the interior, and just go crazy with the exterior.
In theory I could actually save the Gillette name logo on the lid... inlaying is an option.

Back
Top Bottom