Change of careers.....

After 22 years at the same organisation, I will leave at the end of July through a Voluntary Severance deal. Not crying into my beer. The business is changing, & I need a refreshing change of scene!

I was curious if anyone had changed career paths to do something different? 22 years at a largish business has also left me considering going self-employed, and generally despairing company/office politics!

Think I may just need a leap of faith :eek:

FWIW I started my own business 8- years ago. It is a bit of an emotional roller-coaster, big-ups and big-downs. Also you never truly STOP work, even on holiday. There is always that call from a customer that you should really take. On the positive side, there is a lot more freedom and options so the stress is just different.
If you can, find something that you truly love to do, although even that will become a job eventually so don't choose a hobby that you don't mind risking.

Bills - Nicely put. You go from one boss to hundreds, unless you don't like making money.

I personally think it's all about the stage you're at in life. If you have a big mortgage and kid(s) to support, then it's a very tough and risky transition. If you can cope dropping a full and set monthly salary for a period of time, which is what I expect with a redundancy package, then why not.

I have had my own business, but I could never switch off, and I much prefer a set salary, set holiday, and the ability to leave at a semi set time each day. There were of course benefits as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I have had several career paths:
Trainee Accountant - CIPFA
Intelligence Analyst
Television Technician/Cameraman
Accountant - CIMA
Systems Accountant
IT Consultant
IT Consultant/Project Manager - Contractor

There was an article in the Daily Mail about a surgeon who started as a classical musician, who then became an air traffic controller, and finally a mature medical student and surgeon.

My first job in 1974 was a postboy then graduated to a senior claims technician for an top insurance company. The next 30 years spent in transport and warehousing. Then after a spell of unemployment I became a care worker, mainly working with dementia patients and people with learning disabilities/challenging behaviour. Four years ago I became a professional barman which isn't far removed from being a care worker, except I don't have to wipe anyone's arse.

Back
Top Bottom