Claymore Vs Hawk v2

So, I recently received my second ever SE razor: the Razor Hawk V2. I thought I'd randomly write our my thoughts and experiences of the thing.

Previously I've only had one SE, the infamous Claymore. The Claymore was similar to doing the skeleton bobsleigh, where it's all fun until you make one minor slip and kill yourself, but you get to the bottom of the hill quickly. Meanwhile the Hawk v2 is more like walking down the slope with crampons; slow but safer (still possible to be stupid if you want to though).

I have never had a shave with a Claymore and thought "I need to go over that bit again to make it smooth". Usually it's more "I'm pretty sure I've got enough blood left in my to keep functioning today. Just. The Hawk does need more (some) pressure than the Claymore to get a good shave, always needing two passes at least.

I do like the control from the Hawk, I know that if get cut with it, I've only myself to blame. It is a very light razor, part of me wishes it had more weight to it, more for the feel in the hand rather than shave result, but I'm sure I can look at swapping the handle with my DE, and we'll see how effective that is.

No issues with blades so far, I've always used feather pro in the Claymore, and they can last 10 or more shaves. The Hawk appears to be of similar wear pattern.

In summary: Claymore gives a lot closer shave but takes a lot more concentration to be safe. The Hawk gives a lot better shave than my DE, but still takes a good two passes to give a close shave. If I had to choose one, I think the Hawk might win, but mainly because I feel safer holding it on my neck, rather than anything else.

So, I recently received my second ever SE razor: the Razor Hawk V2. I thought I'd randomly write our my thoughts and experiences of the thing.

Previously I've only had one SE, the infamous Claymore. The Claymore was similar to doing the skeleton bobsleigh, where it's all fun until you make one minor slip and kill yourself, but you get to the bottom of the hill quickly. Meanwhile the Hawk v2 is more like walking down the slope with crampons; slow but safer (still possible to be stupid if you want to though).

I have never had a shave with a Claymore and thought "I need to go over that bit again to make it smooth". Usually it's more "I'm pretty sure I've got enough blood left in my to keep functioning today. Just. The Hawk does need more (some) pressure than the Claymore to get a good shave, always needing two passes at least.

I do like the control from the Hawk, I know that if get cut with it, I've only myself to blame. It is a very light razor, part of me wishes it had more weight to it, more for the feel in the hand rather than shave result, but I'm sure I can look at swapping the handle with my DE, and we'll see how effective that is.

No issues with blades so far, I've always used feather pro in the Claymore, and they can last 10 or more shaves. The Hawk appears to be of similar wear pattern.

In summary: Claymore gives a lot closer shave but takes a lot more concentration to be safe. The Hawk gives a lot better shave than my DE, but still takes a good two passes to give a close shave. If I had to choose one, I think the Hawk might win, but mainly because I feel safer holding it on my neck, rather than anything else.
But getting a truly Good Shave with the Claymore is really satisfying. I use a S/S Handle on the Hawk gives it a bit more weight , so helps you avoid putting pressure on the Razor.

I must admit, the brilliantly clean and smooth shave you get from a Claymore is lovely. If every morning I had plenty of time to shave, I'd choose the Claymore. As it is, I like having the option of a decent SE shave which is pretty good and a lot safer when done in a rush.

I must admit, the brilliantly clean and smooth shave you get from a Claymore is lovely. If every morning I had plenty of time to shave, I'd choose the Claymore. As it is, I like having the option of a decent SE shave which is pretty good and a lot safer when done in a rush.

I hadnt decided what razor to use tomorrow until I read this! My Claymore hasn't been used much recently.

I used my Claymore V1 today, fitted with a Windrose Handle it Shaves really well. Just take your time and this Razor rewards you with a nice close all round Shave every time. The Hawk is OK but the finished Shave quality does not match that of the Claymore.

IMG_0535.jpg

Back
Top Bottom