Cleaning 2nd hand brushes

Hi all

After a trip around a charity shop, I came across a Kent brush that looked old but in really good condition (to my eyes anyway). Not sure the model but it came in a red box.

My question is what do or would people use to sterilise the brush.

I'm looking forward to using it, but don't know what to clean it with.

Thanks in advance

Mark

Hi all

After a trip around a charity shop, I came across a Kent brush that looked old but in really good condition (to my eyes anyway). Not sure the model but it came in a red box.

My question is what do or would people use to sterilise the brush.

I'm looking forward to using it, but don't know what to clean it with.

Thanks in advance

Mark
If you are worried you could use a borax solution to clean your brush or half and half white vinegar and water, rinse and lather with soap and rinse again, after which you brush will be free of soap scum or any fungal deposits. :)

I think you need Borax substitute, as Borax itself isn't available any more. A 500g box costs about £5. You put a tablespoon of Borax substitute into a bowl, add enough water to make a thick paste, work the paste into the brush (trying to get the paste right into the base of the knot), leave it upright overnight with the paste on, then wash it out and let it dry.

I think you need Borax substitute, as Borax itself isn't available any more. A 500g box costs about £5. You put a tablespoon of Borax substitute into a bowl, add enough water to make a thick paste, work the paste into the brush (trying to get the paste right into the base of the knot), leave it upright overnight with the paste on, then wash it out and let it dry.

Thanks Triathlete, I'll give it a go.....

Dawn Dish Soap. As they use it on sea birds and mammals to rescue them from oil spills, I find that it works well on brushes too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Borax is on the bay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BORAX-bor...hash=item3ad824b5fe:m:mAjwD8-d5qiPxp8sW5QFXeQ

Back
Top Bottom