Cold water shaving tips?

Great minds think alike, I am planning to take some Proraso green and the white pre-shave with has a real menthol kick

I have never really understood cold water shaving when the onus is always on good prep with a hot towell before a shave to soften the beard. Good luck with it, would be interested in hearing how you get on.

I have never really understood cold water shaving when the onus is always on good prep with a hot towell before a shave to soften the beard. Good luck with it, would be interested in hearing how you get on.

From what I have read (facts may be alternative), it's moisture that softens the hair, with the temperature of the water being of minimal impact if any. A hot towel may feel nicer than a cold one, but that's a matter of sensory preference.

Cold water shrinks, rather than dilates capillaries in the skin, thus reducing irritation. That's the theory.

Mostly I shave with cold water on the basis that it makes me feel like I'm SAS. [I have started my stopwatch, and I expect an ex services Scot to be online any second now giving me the benefit of his opinion about making comparisons with life in the military.]

Been shaving with cold water only for over 5 years now. Never looked back. As mentioned before - less irritation, cleaner shave, and better for the skin in the long run. You really don't need all that extra prep crap - keep it simple.

396813_298422140193148_324197929_n.jpg

+1 for cold water shaving, can't beat it.
Tepid is fine too. In a really hot climes the cold tends to run tepid.

Proraso green is great IMO, great choice.

I have cold water shaved in the past but not with a DE razor. I did not really butcher myself. It was when I was in Belize in Central America volunteering as we had no hot water. It was using a Mach 3 and King of Shaves Gel. I may give it another try but to me it smacks too much of penance!

I have cold water shaved in the past but not with a DE razor. I did not really butcher myself. It was when I was in Belize in Central America volunteering as we had no hot water. It was using a Mach 3 and King of Shaves Gel. I may give it another try but to me it smacks too much of penance!
Pro Tip: Proper soap/cream/oil, don't use a Mach 3. No penance.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

I've tried it and found that cold water makes for a less irritating shave but the razor does tend to tug a bit more than usual and the scent of the soap/cream isn't as noticeable. Personally I split the difference and use lukewarm water all year 'round.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom