Cold water shaving

Hi all, I see with regularity that most people have a pre shave routine mostly with hot shower or towel with pre shave creams etc. I on the other hand shave before my shower and I wash my face in cold water and face or bowl lather using cold water. I very rarely have weepers or cuts and my skin feels great afterwards. I have read somewhere that explains why cold water shaving is better. The analogy is like slicing a soft tomato with a knife and slicing a less ripened one. It is easier to slice the less ripe one. The same is true when slicing through facial hair. The cut is clean and precise. Are there any other shavers who cold water shave? Anyone who hasn't tried it should give it a try.

Forgot to add that the blades seem to last a hell of a lot longer also. I do always dry the blades after a shave as well

I've noticed a more efficient shave when it's performed with cold water. I still perform a pre shave ritual of sorts (usually a scrub). I'm going to do a cold shave tomorrow as it happens (had 2 days off of shaving), I do enjoy them.

I have had more cold water shaves than I care to think about and they were all, without exception, unpleasant.

However, those shaves were with a cartridge and gel, so I might just have another try

@David68 Tried cold water SE shaving three times so far, all with mentholated soaps for a bit of extra chill and it's something I'd happily try/do again - the experience was a lot more pleasurable than cold water shaving with a cartridge razor, some with gel/cream and some without.

I'm only 8 to 9 months into DE shaving and I've been exclusively been cold water shaving for the last 2 months or so.

I'll shave with hot water once again when it's cold but for past the Spring etc I find using hot water to be a bit too much being somewhat hot blooded.

Well, that was a bit of a surprise

I was a bit too much of a wimp to go for the whole shave with cold water, but it was cooler than normal. The second and third passes were with cold water and the result was delightful and an hour or so later, my face feels fab. @wooky114, you were spot on mate, the difference in experience is like chalk and a rather nice Stilton!

Yep, I cold water shave too.
Actually don't like it when the weather improves and the cold water picks up a few degrees.

If I use hot water my neck gets irritated.
The cutting whiskers sound is really different, definitely an easier, closer result with cold.

I just started with cold water shaving because of this thread yesterday and it was a damn fine shave. I have also the impression that it was a closer and even more efficient shave.
I will stick to this for a while (don't know if I will like this in the winter time) and will monitor the effects on my skin.

However, those shaves were with a cartridge and gel, so I might just have another try

It's curious, to me was quite the opposite. Cartridge and gel with hot water never worked, always cold. With soap and DE/SE, hot water is more comfortable. Nonetheless, after reading this post, I'll give cold water another go, and if I get converted, will let you know :)

Back
Top Bottom