Comparing some AC format and GEM format razors and blades.

jar

I just finished doing a comparison of four AC format razors with two shave each from a Schick ProLine, Feather Pro and Kai Captain Titan mild. The razors were my brass General with a spiral handle, a V1 aluminum Hawk, a V2 aluminum Black Hawk and the ATT SE1.

There was a noticeable difference in the razors, the SE1 was way more comfortable and efficient than any of the others, the V1 Black Hawk and General pretty much the same and the V1 Hawk not quite as efficient or comfortable as the other three.

There wasn't as much difference in the blades though and in fact they were all close enough that whatever is on sale might be the deciding factor.

Colonial General Brass WCS Brass Spiral handle.

Schick Proline blade: fairly comfortable and good efficiency.

Proline shave #2: Fairly comfortable but lost attention and sliced my lower lip trying a Gillette Slide.

Feather AC: comfortable and good efficiency. Can't tell much if any difference.

Feather AC #2: repeat of Feather #1. I certainly can't tell much if any difference at least in the General.

Kai Captain Titan Mild: another great near perfect PDG+ shave. Maybe just slightly more touchup needed.

Kai AC #2: Near perfect PDG+ shave and maybe the most comfortable of this set.

RazoRock aluminum Hawk V1.

Schick Proline blade: kinda comfortable and efficient but more touchup than with the General.

Schick Proline blade #2: really tugging and pulling. 4 shaves is about the limit for this blade. Retired.

Feather AC: comfortable and very efficient, almost no post alum touchup needed.

Feather AC #2: comfortable and maybe even more comfortable and efficient than yesterday. Minimal touchup and PDG+ near perfect shave.

Kai Captain Titan Mild: very comfortable. Slightly more post alum touchup.

Kai AC #2: tugging & pulling. Blade is about shot. Like the Proline seems a short life.

RazoRock aluminum Black Hawk V2.

Schick Proline blade: more comfortable and efficient than the V1 and about the same as the General.

Schick Proline blade #2: good shave, near perfect and the V2 does get to under nose and upper lip better than V1. This was shave two on the ProLine blade.

Feather AC: End result was a near perfect PDG+ shave and this is shave five on the blade. Starting to pull and tug though. Will change blades.

Feather AC #2: New Feather blade. Very comfortable shave and even less touchup needed than with the ProLine.

Kai Captain Titan Mild: New Kai blade. Very comfortable shave, near perfect PDG+ two pass with minimal touchup. More comfortable than the Feather but slightly more touchup needed.

Kai AC #2: Much like the first shave with this blade but just maybe slightly more efficient on the second use.

Above the Tie SE1.

Schick Proline blade: Third shave on this blade. Absolutely wonderful shave; comfortable, efficient, two pass with minimal touchup and certainly the best AC format shave I've ever had. This razor really stands out above any of the three others in terms of comfort and efficiency so far.

Schick Proline blade #2: Today's shave reminded me of the little girl who had a little curl…just as with earlier experience of the Schick ProLine blade, when it is good it is very very good but when it is bad it is horrid. Today the blade simply would not cut any hair. It was pulling and tugging and very Shakespearian; fully of sound and fury but doing nothing. A new blade solved the problem, but it seems that three shaves are about the limit on a Schick AC format ProLine blade.

Feather AC: Shave two on this blade. Fast, efficient and comfortable PDG+ near perfect two pass and touchup shave. The SE1 really surprises me. It's head and solders above the Brass General which was my most pleasant AC format razor.

Feather AC #2: Another really nice two pass PDG shave with minimal touchup. This razor really seems to work well with the Feather blades.

Kai Captain Titan Mild: Third save on this blade and efficiency is down. It is still giving me a PDG+ near perfect shave but with more touchup.

Kai AC #2: Another nice shave. Still very comfortable but needed two full passes and then lots of touchup. Seems four shaves per blade will be the norm.

I also did a similar comparison between the ATT G1 and my Saber L1 & L2 with somewhat similar results.

All three gave me a near perfect two pass & touchup PDG+ shave with carbon blades or Stainless or PTFE stainless. There it was the blades than made the biggest difference. The carbon blades had a life of maybe two shaves while the two stainless just seemed ready to go on forever. In the razors though it really came down to what the user likes; those that like to feel the steel will love the Saber L2 and those who do not like to feel the steel will like the other two.

Back
Top Bottom