Converts

I set another fella up with a tester DE wet shaving kit yesterday. I actually enjoy doing this as it is not "work" per se when you are doing something you truly enjoy. And who here among us does not truly enjoy discussing face to face the merits of SE/DE wet shaving with neophytes who are truly interested? :) Having culled my razor collection down to a paltry few (as well as soaps) I let him borrow an old Korean War vintage Super-Speed "Black Tip" that has a lot of brassing, but works like a charm. I included a used Barrister & Mann Latha soap and my loaner MÜHLE 22mm "Black Fibre" synthetic brush. For blades, I give the rookies one Astra SP and one Personna Israeli "Red" blade respectively as they are easily the two blades considered the smoothest on the whole by most shavers.

I have converted perhaps six people in the past year in person and only one did not buy anything or take to it very well as he has absolutely no patience whatsoever and warned me as such beforehand. He continues to get crappy disposable shaves with lots of ingrown hairs to this day. Whenever he tells me that I remind him that he had the "cure" in his hands, but he waves that off stating "I have no time for that BS!!" to which I reply that he obviously has time to dig out ingrown hairs!! :rolleyes: ;)

I sort of envy the people who can make a good living doing this as they must whistle on the way to work as it's a great joy to not only sell something you believe in, but also to feel as if you are genuinely helping someone by showing them a better way to perform one of life's chores. So don't be afraid to bring this up in casual conversation with someone as chances are that fella is either not happy with the current results he now gets and/or is tired of outlandish cartridge prices. Be an ambassador. ;)

This week the guy i work with is always asking me about DE shaving has been curious if traditional shaving wet shaving methods,and are really that better than using disposible & cartridge razors with gel & foam?..My answer in a nutshell is always yes, but it takes time & patience for you to get familiar with the traditional wet shaving, but the benefits are totally rewarding once you get use to it..he said i may give it a try one day..i said no you won't you'll just keep convincing yourself that the Cartridge/gel method is the way forward in shaving, i put him on the spot, and said.. Recently i've had another den clean out , passing on items to other friends that i've bought on impulse, and other bits & pieces i'll never use, i've got a few bits left and told him i'll set him up with a shaving kit. which are...

: (20.various DE blades)-1. metal mixing bowl-1.wilkinson sword brush.1 tub of grated Palmolive shave sticks- 1.Parker 94R razor.- 1.bottle of peppermint oil/witch hazel mixture(my own blend.)1.tube of Aloe vera gel.1.tube of The real Shaving Co.Post Shaving balm.+ 1 styptic pencil.+ various youtube links on good introductions to wet shaving...

I went into work yesterday, and he came up to me, and said it took him neally 25 minutes to have a shave, but he didn't cut himself, "beginners luck"..he said he couldn't believe how smooth & clean he felt after his first wet shave,..following my advice he only went WTG twice, which give him the best shave his had for years..i told him just using Soap & a brush vastly improves your shave..his now going to gradually introduce himself to, what i consider a wonderful pleasurable experience, something i never thought i would ever say, as i use to detest shaving with a passion.

I think the biggest limiting factor for most is the level of concentration, and subsequent light touch, required. I think it's safe to say most use too heavy a touch when they first start as well as using too heavy a touch with a cartridge razor. I've a couple of things which I'm tempted to PIF - I was thinking of giving it to my younger brother to take on his travels (HK for 2 months then Oz for a year) but the opportunity didn't arise before I could. I might give them to my older brother but I don't know how often he'll use them... It'd be a good start however;
  • QShave 'Futur'
  • Nivea cream
  • Nivea sensitive cream
  • Body shop brush
  • Various blades - I've some pretty mild Derby blades as well as some BIC and Astras to start and can get him onto Feather hi-stainless if that goes well...

...and told him i'll set him up with a shaving kit. which are...

: (20.various DE blades)-1. metal mixing bowl-1.wilkinson sword brush.1 tub of grated Palmolive shave sticks- 1.Parker 94R razor.- 1.bottle of peppermint oil/witch hazel mixture(my own blend.)1.tube of Aloe vera gel.1.tube of The real Shaving Co.Post Shaving balm.+ 1 styptic pencil.+ various youtube links on good introductions to wet shaving...

Good grief!! You left out the deed to your home & daughter's hand in marriage!!! :eek: ;)

Excellent thread.

i have just converted one guy, years ago He usually complained of ingrown hairs, irritation... so he sported a beard...

I talked to him about the benefits of traditional shaving and he gave in... with a rather sceptical look. He asked me to buy him a DE (EJDE89L) and I provided some assorted blades, Proraso green cream, balm...

Next day we met he was in awe! And delighted with his BBS neck... no red patches, no irritation, no stubble...

But that's about it... My colleagues know of my obsession... :rolleyes:... (if nothing else, they see I'm often delivered little parcels...), I've praised the benefits of it all, they can see my perfect shaves... and that's it.

Interesting thread - two of my closest friends are now confirmed wet shavers through my influence. Independently of each other - they more or less said the same thing, what used to be a chore was now a source of pleasure to them. I'd agree with that. Whenever any one of us is away we'll pick up some bits and pieces for the others to try. I like that aspect of 'proper' shaving. cheers - I.

This is probably slightly off topic but have any of you guys revisited blades, razors, soaps/creams you dismissed when starting out.

In hindsight i probably dismissed far to many due to bad technique.
Yes Sir. I revisited Astra SP's and yes they were just as bad as I remembered, got the blood out of the lino eventually.

I hated Astra blades. They were terrible. Irritation was their second name.

Until I tried them a while ago. Green ones. Well, smooth and soft.

Actually, I prefer MY Feathers....

Back
Top Bottom