Cremo Sandalwood Lathering Shave Cream

Heard about this from a few 'best' lists, not well known in the UK though, my thoughts:

This isn't listed on Cremo's website. I assumed it was the same as the stuff in the tubes, but that isn't the case. I know that because the directions for use on the tubes state it's a brushless, non-lathering cream. This tub clearly says to use a brush.

After repeated attempts at getting a good, stable lather fell flat — literally — I decided to try using a small amount as a brushless cream. A tiny quantity, compared to what I had been using, provided the claimed slickness. I didn't get any nicks but the finish wasn't up to the results of using a brush.

The ingredients do differ to the brushless version, and there are a lot of them compared to most creams I've used.

It claims to be “impossibly slick” — along with a bunch of other things. The slickness it lives up to; despite poor lather, it was always very slick. With glycerin being listed as the third ingredient, perhaps (that's) to be expected.

It didn't translate into protection though, with a number of shaves being blighted by a lot of nicks. That said, I did manage some good results.

The fragrance is unlike any sandalwood I have come across before. I couldn't have told you what it was without the name on the outside. It's quite woody but is laced with a chemical tang.

On the plus side, it's very reasonably priced.

I'd heard good things about Cremo, so this was a little disappointing. Good slickness, yes, but not much else going for it. It does the job but it's not one I'd recommend. They seem new to creams for the brush so maybe it'll improve.

Full review here.

Ha. The 'top ten' lists from a lot of mags include the tubes, but they're not to be trusted. The high level of slickness makes me wonder if they've re-purposed some NASA-derived lubricant for the Shuttle's bay hinges.

Back
Top Bottom